Norinco USA?

Willie D

http://www.norinco-usa.com/#

Last week the website said AK-47s and M14s coming 2009.

I thought that maybe they were importing receivers then making them "American" with compliance parts as per 922r. This "explanation" doesn't explain much. Maybe it's a front?

The whole canceled trademarks bit and use of the logo seems strange. If you had nothing do with Norinco besides buying their tooling, why name yourself "Norinco"?

KDM

I dunno...name recognition, maybe? If this Norinco-USA venture could relieve itself of prior political and legal problems, they've got a leg up on other startups by having a name lots of people are familiar with.

That's a stretch, I know. All I could come up with.

Dave85

I suppose they expect that the name has some caché amongst value buyers who will give it a look when they see it on their dealers shelves. Norinco, for better or worse (I have no experience with their products), was a well known brand in it's time. Maybe they believe also that it will be easier for them to resurrect old dealer relationships than to start up new ones.

ballistic_trep

I would be really surprised if Norinco actually has enough M14/M305's for the American market! Thousand's of these fantastic rifles have already been sold in Canada(listed as non-restricted up here) and rumour has it that the supply is getting low as these rifles are assembled from stored parts.....there is no new manufacturing happening overseas(that anyone knows of....and for all we know there may be tens of thousands of stored receivers somewhere). But if a good supply still exists.....hopefully that means the prices will stay low on both sides of the border.

The "message from our president" on the website says Norinco didn't maintain their trademarks so he decided to take the name for his own company. He is making everything in the US. No importation of anything as far as I can tell.

If he is planning on making forged 5100 chromium steel M14 receivers, that would be interesting. He says they didn't import any tooling or equipment...

They will probably start out with a blued, stamped AK, or something like that.

Willie D

It's weird. If he's making it in the US, why call it Norinco?

Imagine his story this way: Guy intends to buy tooling from Daewoo and make cars. Can't get the tools but decides to call his cars "Daewoo" since they don't make them here anymore, despite the original company continuing to exist as large player in global markets.

I just think it's funny as hell that the Chinese, the most notorious pirates in the world, are having their products copied without compensation by a US company.:D

StuMan

I would be really surprised if Norinco actually has enough M14/M305's for the American market! Thousand's of these fantastic rifles have already been sold in Canada(listed as non-restricted up here) and rumour has it that the supply is getting low as these rifles are assembled from stored parts.....there is no new manufacturing happening overseas(that anyone knows of....and for all we know there may be tens of thousands of stored receivers somewhere). But if a good supply still exists.....hopefully that means the prices will stay low on both sides of the border.

There is no new M14's coming. The plant that makes them quite as soon as the ITAR bans came in. We have just been buying leftovers. I have shot almost every style of Norinco gun from 1911's to 870's to AK and M16 rip offs, and also their infamous SKS. They are all good guns but slightly to greatly inferior to their counterparts