Norinco type54?

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I am considering getting one for plinking. Comes with a couple of mags, 7.62x25, 9x19 and 38 Super (whatever for!) barrels. Pictures at http://www.a-human-right.com/ussr-pistols.html

Is it safe to carry cocked and locked?

Would it work with S&B or Silvertip JHPs (not very bid cavities)?

How's reliabiltiy/accuracy/trigger on the Chinese Tokarevs? I tried Russian and wasn't too impressed.

What brands/sources of 7.62Tok should I avoid for safety reasons?

pawcatch

I have chinese tokarev in 9mm,it is faily accurate,the trigger good and it is reliable but you can only use fmj in them.The safety is not reliable and I wouldn't carry it cocked and locked.

oktagon

Chineese Toks are not nearly as good as early (pre GPW) Russian TT33s. The finish is rough, the fit is loose and creepy at the same time and they have that stupid safety laver retro-fitted on the left side. The acuracy is OK.
As far as carry, these guns are disigned to be carried with hammer at "halve notch" (predochranitelniy vzvod, as russians call it). The also lack manual safety in the original form.
Frankly, if you are looking for 7.62x25 pistol I would look at CZ-52. Its a more modern design, better made gun and you
can use VERY hot ammo for SMGs (PPSh, PPS43 etc). Chech ammo for these guns is also very hot. You are talking 2k+ fps with small diametre HARDNED STEEL bullet. Stoping power is lousy, but the penetration is truly phenomenal.

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Where could I find a Russian TT?

Also, I am not dead set on a TT. I want a single action single stack 9mm or 7.62Tok autoloader and wouldn't mind something more modern. Govt.380 upsized or Star Model B downsized and flattened...

ckurts

Agree with oktagon on fit and finish. The retrofit safety takes a lot of getting used to, as it is stiff and functions sort of in reverse of what you'd expect on an SAA. I believe the accuracy to be good in spite of fit/finish issues- it's at least as good as my Ruger P-89 9mm or my CZ-52 but not quite as good as some other semiautos I own (Makarov, Colt, Glock). Muzzle blast is a bit extreme. Also, you might want to politely warn the shooter in the next lane and anybody within 15 feet behind you about flying brass- it really travels.

Reliability on mine has been outstanding.

I was able to find some Hornady hollowpoints and softpoints loaded in Starline brass at a gun show last year, but I've never seen the guy again. I bought several boxes of each and had no problems. Quality Ammunition at http://www.owlnet.com/quality has Sierra and Hornady hollowpoints.

I would not hesitate to use the pistol for self defense, and I have carried it in the past as my CCW.

oktagon

Oleg,

You can find Rissian TTs around. Few years ago they started to come in, mostly through KBI, but some through Century Intl. and other importers. The can be had for $200 or less.
I got one made in 1948, but majority of them are pre war.
The once made during the war are rough for obvious reasons.
If you want, I know a shop in Boston area that has one (no affiliation). I think he has it for around $200.
Personaly, I would still go with CZ-52. It is almost as flat (about 0,5mm thicker), has better designed locking mechanism that allows barrel to stay in the same plane during slide cycle and more safety features (de-ckocker etc)
If you just want single stack sinle action 9mm, why don't you consider HK P7? :) :) :)
Much better that CZ-52 or TT! and only 8 times more expenssive!
I carry one and love it.

James K

Member In Memoriam
It would be hard to find a better SA, single stack 9mm than the Colt Commander or Combat Commander.

The TT-33 (and copies) is a rugged, reliable pistol, but it is pretty strictly a military combat gun. The military models have no safety except a half cock. The manual safety that is put on them for export to the US is not a good one and I would not depend on it. It does not have an inertia firing pin and should never be carried with the hammer down.

FYI, I have one that the Germans captured and rebarrelled (rebored?) to 9mm P. It has "08" stamped on the slide, like the Steyr-Hahns that were also converted.

Jim