Norinco 1911A1

dmt411

I just picked up a Norinco 1911A1 and I am wondering if anyone has experience with them. I understand they were imported from China in the 90's and are no longer being imported. It has fixed sights and a decent trigger.

I am curious about parts if I need them does anyone know what parts may exchange with the Norinco. It ran through a box flawlessly, 50 rds and seems to be accurate and consistent. Any insight on the new 1911 is appreciated as it is my first 1911.

Walt Sherrill

The one's I've seen (and the one I owned) were compatible with other 1911 parts, etc -- a true "clone" in the proper sense of the word. They're typically good guns, and often used as the base for light customization.

As with any older, used 1911, you have to know what you're doing when you buy one, or have it checked out by somebody who does know what they're doing. I bought mine from an established 1911 gunsmith, who had done a little work on it. I liked it but later sold it... (I wasn't really into 1911s, and never really got the "bug.")

SilentHitz

I own 2 Norks, 1 still NIB, and like walt said they are very good copies and all military and aftermarket parts will interchange. They are made of very good steel, I think you picked a good 1st 1911. I lost count on rounds fired in mine with no problems...thus still having the one in the box unfired.

Import to US was stopped when our govt. found out all proceeds from Norinco was going to the military and leaders in China who held much of the stock. Too bad because they made some quality firearms not usually associated with Chinese stuff. I also have their copy of the Browning take down .22...shoots sweet also.

Silent Bob

The grip screw bushings are not compatible (Norincos use larger metric bushings), all other parts interchange.

I had a Norinco that I found LNIB but with some minor issues like a loose ejector and a absurdly heavy trigger pull (not to mention terrible finish) that was lightly customized by Coal Creek Armory a few years back. I really regret selling that gun.

jtb1967

As a general rule the various Norinco 22LR's had rough machine work and cheap soft wood for stocks. The 1911A1's do seem to be better made than most of the rifles bearing the Norinco name. Perhaps they were made at different factories.

MythBuster

I know this might start a small war but the parts in your Chinese pistol are made from better quality steel than many very high dollar 1911 pistols you can buy today.

tdocz

I own a Norinco 1911a1, as well. It was an inexpensive purchase and the previous owner had done some minor mods to it. It was a nice shooter when I got it but I replaced the trigger, hammer and sear along with a couple externals. Made it even better for very little cash outlay. I probably have 1000 rounds through it now. My one complaint with the Norko was with the fixed front sight post, which was WAY too low. It was shooting 15-18" high at 25yds, too much pumpkin for my taste. The rear sights were too low to lower further so I had my gunsmith buddy weld on a taller front sight. It took a while to get the new post sighted to the correct level but it's shooting nicely now. Next step for me is to refinish the slide to remove blemishes from welding on the front sight. The previous owner had a nice bluing job done on it and I would like to restore it. But like I said, it does shoot well even if it ain't pretty...:)

dmt411

Thanks for the link Mitchntx, a lot of the same positive reviews. It has a couple of boxes under its belt so far and no issues. Seems like it will be a fun shooter.