Norgon Ambi-Catch

fal308

Staff Alumnus
Just received my Norgon Ambi-Catch. This is an ambidextrous magazine release that Mykl recommended here on TFL way back when. Had it on and adjusted in just a mintue or two. Been playing with it since. This is going to be great for us left handers. Can't wait to try it out in livefire.

fal308. Let me see if I got this right. I announced there was a southpaw AR and you get yours before I get mine. I got my DPMS ambidextrious safety and Norgon Ambi-catch, the latter of which you just got. Now, you still have an operational gun and I've got all the parts except for the lower. You'll be telling me how good or bad the Norgon is before I'll even have mine together. Waahhh!

Have them on all my AR-series rifles. I personally like the left hand reload ala the Uzi. The pressure required to release the magazine from the left is the same as for the right. It provides an attractive option without detracting from the utility or reliability of the system (unlike most of the competing designs). The product exceeds all the applicable MILSPECs for the weapon system.

fal308

Staff Alumnus
Gary
The first I actually saw of DPMS southpaw receiver was at Knob Creek last spring. Had read about them in SGN for about a year before that. Right then and there at the Creek I knew I just had to have one. Started saving in April and come June I ordered mine. Had to wait 5 months for it though. :(
Now I'd like to take a look at Hesse's LH upper to compare with the DPMS. Saw some RH uppers at the last gunshow. Finish was okay, darker than the gray phosphate that DPMS uses, but the lettering (stamping) was inconsistent, parts of it were clear and deep but some was rather shallow even on the same weapon. If/when I get another LH upper I think I'll get a 20 HBAR or bull barrel this time. Will check out Hesse LH uppers at the Creek. May just pick up another whole weapon as otherwise I'd have two uppers for each lower. Just in case, I'm going to the Creek with an FFL who's going to see what kind of Class III toys he can pick up to rent out at his range.
Also would like to compare Power Custom's ambi mag release to the Norgon. Though the Norgon is less expensive than the Power Custom by $9 or $10. I'm still giddy about the Ambi Mag Release.

Will probably order the ammo we e-mailed about near the end of the month unless I find a good deal at Knob Creek. Contact me off list if still interested.

[This message has been edited by fal308 (edited April 07, 1999).]

fal308

Staff Alumnus
Gary
Talked to the DPMS rep at Knob Creek and asked about a raised rib flattop in left hand. He said that I could special order the Flattop Tri-Mount in lefty. The way he was talking, it sounded almost as though we could special order just about any receiver in left hand.
They also offer a side charger upper that allows you to chamber a round by pulling a lever that is mounted on the left side of the Hi-Rider Flat Top Receiver. Would work well with large bell scopes.

Wow, choices, choices, choices. I may have to break down in the later part of this year and order a spare left handed upper with that flat top. Variety is good. Hmmm, two southpaw ARs in the safe?

Regarding the charging handle, it sound like the "Tac Latch" which is equally useful to our right handed counterparts.

fal308

Staff Alumnus
I was thinking along the same lines. A flattop tri-mount with a 20 or 24 inch stainless bull barrel. They've got this in RH as part number FTBL-01. Only it costs retail $679. Ouch!! But it does include the full upper including bolt carrier assembly, and aluminum free float tube. Don't know twist rate but they offer their bulls in 1x9, 1x10 or 1x8 twist.
They also have a super bull assembly with a 1.15" dia. all the way out to the muzzle. Available in 16", 20" and 24" lengths. You must buy the whole assembly though, individual parts not sold seperately.