Nordic Holster

balin

I am trying to come up with a holster for when I am out x-country/backcountry skiing. Most likely for a revolver such as my 386 snubby or 329 4 inch, I have others(629,Ruger Alaskan,S&W 65,1911,CZ's etc.) but want to carry something light. I want it to stay concealed to not agitate anyone I run into(my choice). Shoulder holster wouldn't work well with all the poling. IWB would be uncomfortable/awkward. The belly band didn't work so well. A chest rig maybe but it would be slow to get to, plus some times I carry a light pack. The same holster would probably work well hiking/climbing in the summer I would think.

Sixer

I would look at a regular OWB / pancake holster. If you are skiing then you should have enough clothing to conceal most handguns. You could also check out a SOB holster, as it should conceal easily and stay out of your way... but I've never been a big fan of "small of back" carry. Just my thoughts ;)

Jim March

I think you need a good fanny pack designed holster, worn front and slightly offset.

It'll be concealed, protected in a crash, protected from the weather. And in a crash, it will be at a position where it's unlikely to be driven into your body in a place that would cause major damage. Worst case you'll bruise your pelvis area. In a crash you'll tend to fold around your hips, forward.

I speak from authority - 20+ years as a biker (performance motorcycles) without owning a car. Been in my share of wrecks. I know where we tend to land at high speed.

NOTE: left side forward is better than right side, no matter whether you're right-handed or left. Why? Because the one delicate tissue that's fairly close to the surface that you don't want to drive a hard gun into at speed is the liver, and that extends fairly low on the right. At the front lower left abdominal area, the only organs close to the surface are the intestines and colon and those are damn near impossible to harm with blunt force. The kidneys are vulnerable but they're way to the rear.

Second best would be a very "high and forward" crossdraw rig, outside the belt, covered with a jacket of some sort. But you won't have the same total flexibility of motion unless you have one with damn near infinite adjustability of both ride height and tilt angle...one such exists, emphasis on "one", although it's pretty easy (and legal) to roll your own or adapt an existing holster. See also:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431656

You could take any "pancake type" holster, cut the belt loop areas off, sew a stiff leather "skirt plate" to it at the top and bottom with holes along the sides...

Caboclo

+1 for cross-draw. I've never attempted any sort of crash testing, but for all normal activities I find it to be by far the most comfortable method of carry. I use a stock Serpa holster. It is adjustable for the angle of the holster relative to your belt.

balin

Thanks for the replies. I will try out a fanny pack later today, I had forgot about that option for some reason. Thanks for the advise on crashing, throwing myself to the ground is still the fastest way I have found to stop,even after 20 years of skiing. But it hurts more then it used to when I was young and in my 30's.....or 40's!

Jim March

I've put a LOT of thought and even anatomical study into the implications of crashing while strapped :). And I suspect bike wrecks are potentially a lot worse than ski wrecks.

tony pasley

Pouch holsters like Brigade Quartermaster carries would sould like a good option. It is a utility pouch with a holster inside so no one knows what they are seeing unless they shop there also.

I do alot of activities Roller blading, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, hunting, etc. & I carry on my belt OWB at 4-5:00 or use a pack... concerns are protection of myself & the gun, & sweating... when I hunt, I usually have 2 or 3 waist packs, & I just slip my CCW into one of the packs... for winter sports, I like to carry a pack anyway for high energy snacks, & bottled water to stay hydrated... no problem slipping a snubbie in there either