NOOOOO not another M1A vs. AR10 thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldcars

Sorry! yes I used the search function but I still couldn't answer my questions! I am thinking about going for a .308/7.62 battle rifle and I want to spend under $1500 for the rifle itself. I want something reliable and accurate, and I reload so I would like to be able to re-use my brass more than once ( I have a G3 clone and it destroys brass) The gun will be scoped with a traditional style scope and I want it solid. I also need to have a nice crisp single stage 3 ish lb trigger without a ton of work. The gun will be used for informal target shooting, and Varmint hunting. I am thinking about :

-Base model full size Springfield M1A
- DPMS or Rock River AR in .308 with a 20" barrel.

What would you choose? Are M1A's picky about bullet weight and powder? how about AR's? what is more finicky about magazines? easier to clean? longer lasting? RRA vs. DPMS?

chasep255

I was unaware that they even made an M1A for less than $1500. I would go with the AR-10. It is cheaper and more accurate.

Chinny33

ok, I have both, so Im not biased either way.

with scopes, they are both 10lb guns.

I have a Remington R-25 and a Springfield M1A Scout Squad 18" BBL

The Remington R-25 shoots INSIDE the groups the M1A shoots.

My M1A prefers bullets heavier than a 150gr bullet. Sierra Matchking or Sierra Gameking in 165 or 168 are fantastic bullets with groups under 2" typically. Sadly, the BEST I can do with a 150gr Barnes TSX and Hornady 150gr FMJ is 3.5"-4.5".

R-25 shoots everything with zeal. Best group I did was under 1".

M1A is NOT a 3lb crisp trigger. I attached a Sadlak Scope mount on it, which alone cost $150+.

AR-10s come with flat top rails to mount stuff on.

I am familiar with the G3 clones and the like. The one i had experience with threw the brass 15' on a 40degree angle in front of the rifle. All the brass was unusable due to the severe dents on the wall and the necks.

Balance-wise, the M1A is easier to swing. Magazines are more expensive. The only reliability issues i have is the brass getting stuck under the scope mount and the bolt. but after greasing it, its fine.

Under $1500? ummm good freaking luck.

Word for the hunters...if you are going to hunt with your guns, after you sight them in on the bench, you MUST shoot off hand, standing, kneeling, sitting down, and prone. Unless you shoot prairie dogs, you are not going to be sitting on a bench.

If I could choose one, I would take the R-25. Less money for more accuracy and flexibility.

ma96782

It's easier and cheaper to get an AR10 to be accurate vs an M1A. But, if your want to shoot the high power service match rifle game...........it's the M1A (but then FYI, the AR15 platform has taken over).

Aloha, Mark

madcratebuilder

The AR10 or 7.62 platform rifle well be easier to scope. You have a bigger choice of barrel length. Accuracy goes to the AR10 and you well have a larger assortment of accessories. Both well be 10lbs plus when scoped.

Take a look at the ArmaLite AR10, it has a lifetime warranty and is more refined than some of the other 7.62 platforms, improved bolt catch and mag release, forged vs extruded parts, adjustable NM trigger.

You can't go wrong with either rifle, I do shoot my AR more than my M1A's but both platforms are great shooters.

AK103K

I have a G3 clone and it destroys brass
You need a port buffer. I had a couple of HK91's, and reloaded the brass all the time.

Having had a number of M1A's, Id go with the AR instead for my next one. Just a lot more options, and I believe they are likely to be more accurate.

oldcars

Thanks for all the input guys, When it comes down to a 308 AR I think the only options in my price range are Rock River, DPMS, and mabe Armalite. Who has the best quality, accuracy,reliability, mag system, etc. for that price range? I would like to be able to shoot both cheap 7.62 surplus AND 308 factory AND my own reloads is that realistic? I am thinking I want a 20" standard contour barrel. Will an aftermarket drop-in AR15 trigger work ?

MOshooter65202

I have owned the DPMS AP4 .308 for 5-6 years now and have been absolutely happy with the workmanship and quality for their firearm.The DPMS 308 AP4 with a 16" barrel is very accurate straight out of the box,I purchased the rifle as a 30 cal. brush gun for deer hunting and for recreational shooting. Would I buy the same gun again??? Heck yes :)

SPUSCG

You say single stage trigger only? Cause the m1as only come with 2 stage.

The Ar-10 will not be 3 pounds unless you get an aftermarket kit.

SR420

madcratebuilder The AR10 or 7.62 platform rifle well be easier to scope. You have a bigger choice of barrel length. Accuracy goes to the AR10 and you well have a larger assortment of accessories. Both well be 10lbs plus when scoped.

Take a look at the ArmaLite AR10, it has a lifetime warranty and is more refined than some of the other 7.62 platforms, improved bolt catch and mag release, forged vs extruded parts, adjustable NM trigger.

You can't go wrong with either rifle, I do shoot my AR more than my M1A's but both platforms are great shooters.

Good advice, I owned an ArmaLite AR-10 and it was a great rifle.

My AR-10 came with a medium weight 20" upper... I also picked up a complete 16" standard weight upper and swapped uppers whenever I wanted. It was no lighter than my M14 EBRs, but it was more accurate and reliable right out of the box than my M1A.

That said, I sold my AR-10 pkg. in favor of another custom built M14 from SEI. SEI type M14s tend to be more accurate and reliable than the AR-10 right out of the box.

rdmallory

Option #3

Look at a FAL STG58 FAL

DSA_SA58_med_contour_ss.gif

oldcars

What do you guys think about a RRA LAR-8 predator? I can get one for about $950 out the door. The cheapest I can get into a Springfield M1A is about $1300 and an Armalite AR-10A4 will run me about $1235. The DPMS is the cheapest with the Sportical at about $865 but it only has a 16" barrel and I would like to have a 20".

Will a RRA LAR-8 run ok with surplus 7.62 AND factory 308? Will they take a drop in AR15 aftermarket trigger? What is a good 20 round magazine option?

Status
Not open for further replies.