noobie

sewerman

okay as a noobie i have not made the best decisions when it come to purchasing components.....maybe i can get some help.

i purchased 1k of 115gr copper plated RN bullets 9mm.

i have been using bullseye powder and my reloading manual nor the info sheet from the dieset provides a start load using this type bullet with this powder.

the FMJ 115gr jacketed bullet is 3.5 grs of bullseye.

suggestions........

thanks,
sewerman

RidgwayCO

From a practical standpoint, and after reading some of the other threads on this forum, I'd say that as a noobie you're fortunate to have found any brass, bullets, powder, or primers!

For your proposed 9mm Luger load, your powder and bullets are fine. My two applicable references are the Hornady #6 (3.9gr minimum to 4.6gr maximum of Bullseye with a COL of 1.100") and the Speer #14 (4.2gr minimum to 4.7gr maximum of Bullseye with a COL of 1.135"). These are for 115gr jacketed bullets, however. Your plated bullets should require a little less powder to achieve the same velocity as jacketed bullets (almost like lead bullets, but not quite).

Personally, I'd start with 4.0gr of Bullseye and a COL of 1.140" and adjust from there. With the 9mm Luger I've always loaded for 100% functioning first, performance second.

GeekWithAGun

I'm using 4.6gr of Bullseye behind a 124gr plated RN from Ranier (1.135 COL), and it's nice, cycles 3 different 9s reliably. RidgwayCO suggested 4.2gr min with a COL of 1.135, and I would think 4.2gr behind a 115 gr plated should be just about perfect. JMHO.