non-scope sights for .45/70

troy_mclure

ive got an encore in .45/70 with a 1.5-5x40 shotgun scope on it.

the scope works great, and the eye relief is plenty long, but with the recoil i often get whacked in the eye by the scope if i dont get my face back far enough, mostly from trying to pull off a quick shot.

ill be mostly shooting under 150yd.

im not too impressed with the factory irons.

any good sight set ups, or or some kinda short optic?

darkgael

sight

Many, if not all, of the Red Dot type sights will give you enough eye relief to avoid getting smacked. The trick is getting one that will take the recoil. I have a heavy recoiling chambering for an Encore barrel. I put a Tasco ProPoint on; it has survived.
Another option is an aperture sight from Williams or from NECG. I have the NECG on my H&R 45-70. It mounts on a Weaver base. Great sight.
http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#111-883____-_1-2-4_8-16-32

Pete

Last edited:
I like the fire sight ghost ring ( Taylor posted ) I have one on my 45 Colt Contender, that I shoot hot loads in for hunting, & am looking at adding them to a couple different guns over the next year, including my possibly my 45-70Guide Gun...

the apiture is not threaded, but for rifles, I'm thinking about threading the apiture, so it could be used as either a ghost ring, or a smaller more precise peep sight...

I like that they are aluminum rather than plastic or steel, so I don't have to worry about rust ( it sleeted all week long, last deer season for me ) so I'm a bit hesitant to add any blued steel parts to any of my stainless guns

44 AMP

Staff
Work on your shooting position

And stop "crawling" on the stock. Its a natural enough thing to do, especially on a snap shot, to move your head forward as you cheek the stock, but that is what is getting you wacked by the scope. Practice just laying your head over to meet the stock, without moving it forward.

Or you could just move your scope forward a bit (if possible). As long as you have a full field of view, nothing will be changed significantly. Any scope with enough eye relief for a 12ga recoil has enough eye relief to handle the recoil of a .45-70, if mounted in the right position, and you don't crawl on the stock.

You might also consider if the stock is long enough for your body size. Stocks are made to fit the average person, and can easily be a bit too long or too short for the rest of us.

One quick way to change the length is to add a slip on recoil pad. Try shooting with one of those on the butt and see if the scope still wacks you.

Peep, ghost ring and regular iron sights are available from several makers, to fit your rifle. Its a matter of personal choice as much as anything.

troy_mclure

im definitely "crawling" lol. the gun fits me great, but the scope is as far forward as it will go.

i guess im too used to putting my nose to the charging handle, lol.

44 AMP

Staff
i guess im too used to putting my nose to the charging handle, lol.

I understand completely. Having grown up shooting rifles that actually had significant recoil, when DI told me to put my nose against the charging handle, I considered him nuts! You can shoot that way if you want, but not me!

I also shoot with a high rt elbow (when standing). Thats how my Dad taught me, and thats what I do. DI started to chew me out for doing ti that way, till he saw my sight in groups (< 1"), and then said, go ahead and shoot! Personally I was disgusted with the group, the bullet holes weren't even touching! But then it was an M16A1, rather worn from training, and using M193 ball ammo!

You just need to shoot each gun as it is meant to be, not like an AR, lol.