Non-resident Oregon CCW....

stmcelroy

Anybody from Washington have their Oregon CCW?

Says I need to write a letter describing my need for an Oregon permit.

Does protecting my a@@ count?

What did you guys say?

Time to become legal.

Thanks,
Steve Mc.

Coug

I looked into it. I spoke with a Sheriff's Office in E Oregon who told me that they regularly issue them to Washington Residents. I was told that I needed to provide proof of training or something. I think some SO's might be more likely than others to grant the permit. Anyway good luck in your application. -Coug

stmcelroy

Sorry, forgot to mention that I get to deal w/the big county.

Multnomah County......If I could only live 400' from here. Then I'd be able to deal w/a rural Oregon county.

Steve Mc.

OF

Where do you get the info on applying? It's something I've been meaning to do for some time now.

- Gabe

stmcelroy

GRD,

Depends what county you live in. If you're in Clark County, then you're stuck going to Multnomah County to get an application. They're on the corner of N.E. Glisan and N.E. 122nd.

Steve Mc.

BigMike

Steve,

I live here in Oregon now, originally from Washington. Check out www.packing.org for specific and detailed information.

I will echo the recommendations from others about going to a more rural county. Multanomah is notorious(so I hear down here in So. Oregon) for sandbaging ccw apps. This is important: It varies from county to county, and it may be quicker and less hassle to goto a smaller county. I would try, Coos, Douglas, Josephine, or Jackson Counties. You need to demonstrate handgun proficiency down here also.

Good Luck!! Hope this helps!

Mike

Nanaimo Barr

when I inquired from the Multanomah County Sherrifs Office, I was told "under no circumstances would we issue you a CCW"....

how ever.. I was also informed later that the information given to me was incorrect, and that the Office lied to me.

I live in Idaho, but I am also a non Citizen (for at least 5 more years)

Aerrin45ACP

It really depends on who you talk to, and what Sheriff's department. I've heard of everything from "State law prohibits that" (lie) to people getting them easily. You just have to come here and take a class that fulfills the OR requirements.

I've gotten permits in OR, WA, and ID, and OR was by far the most hassle.

D.W. Drang

AFAIK, and according to people on the WA-CCW list, it doesn't matter which county you go to. Pick one. In fact, the one to pick is whichever county Astoria is in, you know, theone where the sherriff wants to form a county militia of all the gun-owners, for Homeland Defense...

I have also been told that the "References" requirement is usually ignored, if it even really exists.

Sierra

If you apply in Multnomah County (Portland) the County Sheriff Dan Noelle has repeated many times he is against CCW for anyone. This translates to a much longer waiting period. Apply in any other county or be prepared to wait.

D.W. Drang

What's this? Mailing list?

It's a yahoogroups email list.
Go to www.yahoogrops.com and do a search for "WA-CCW." (I can never remember where it's stashed on the site.)
It's pretty good, mostly on topic, and a good source of info--many Oreganoes hang out there, as well as prominent Washington "AC" gun-rights activists.

This subject is one that coms up abot once a month. I just haven't gotten down to Astoria to test it--yet.

stmcelroy

Called Clatsop County, where Astoria is located, no problem.

Bring a copy of Washington Drivers License & CCW, also handgun "competency" certificate. Then they'll take care of everything else. About 6 week turnaround.

Looks like I'll be taking a road trip fairly soon.

Thanks for all the help,
Steve Mc.

OF

Thanks, D.W. And thanks for the Oregon answers, stmcelroy. On my 'to do' list now.

- Gabe

MrHuckFin

Non-Resident CCW For Oregon

Having lived in Oregon most of my life and having a CCW when I did live there you would think I know the answer to this but I don't. If I have a CCW for Florida (the state I know reside in) can I get a CCW from Oregon or do I have to live in a closer state like Washington, Idaho, or California? I get back to Oregon quite often and wouldn't mind still being able to carry while there.

Johnc

I live here in Oregon now, originally from Washington. Check out www.packing.org for specific and detailed information.

BIGMIKE I don't have a dog in this fight (being from NY) however, I think packing.org is done. I have not seen that web site up in months.