Non-Res CCW Permits from other states NO GOOD in PA!!!

Musketeer

It has long been accepted that people with NH non-res permits could carry in PA but I saw a blurb on PDO about that not being the case for FL permits issued to non-residents of FL. That got me to thinking so I went to the AG site and searched for the agreement with NH. Here is its link: http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploadedFiles/Crime/NH_Recip_Agreemt.pdf

Section 1 would seem to indicate a NH Non-Res permit would be alright but read Section 3 carefully....

This Reciprocity Agreement applies only to the carrying of firearms by valid license/permit holders from respective states and not to any other types of weapons

The section is there to limit the agreement to firearms only but it effectively kills non-resident permits from NH and elsewhere. If you live in NY but have a NH non-resident permit then you are NOT a "valid license/permit holders from respective states."

I believe the PA agreements with other states may read the same meaning PA is now like MI, NH and FL in not honoring non-resident permits. Everyone who uses a non-resident permit for carry in PA from a state other than PA and their own better look up the agreement ASAP!!!

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

The Florida agreement reads the same. FL non-res is also a no no in PA. This is really starting to suck!!!

K80Geoff

PA and VA now reciprocate. I do not see any wording limiting reciprocity to residents only. Maybe you should try to get a PA permit.

Or better yet MOVE to PA:D

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
For $26 and the cost of two stamps, you can have a non-resident PA permit in about two weeks. Contact the Centre County Sherrif.

mvpel

I'll check with one of the folks who was involved in the drafting of that agreement and see what they recall the intent was.

New Hampshire's JLCAR committee drafted administrative rules to recognize non-resident licenses from reciprocal states last year, as I recall, so this agreement paperwork may not be the whole story.

blume357

I don't understand how the wording that was posted...

doesn't allow Non-resident NH permits.... explain that to me.
Florida doesn't recognize any non-resident permits other than their own.

daYooper

Do most of the CCW states have non-resident pemits? Just curious since I'm in Michigan for most of the year at school, but I have to keep my permanent address in IL.

But being from PA orginally, I have to agree with K80Geoff, just move to PA :cool:

mvpel

I remembered that the JLCAR change was to allow the issuance of non-resident licenses to people who have a concealed-carry license from other than their home states, due to feifdoms like NYC and Massachusetts where only the politically connected get carry licenses. It wasn't applicable to this question.

blume357

Lot's of states have Nr permits...

As far as I can tell N.H. is the easiest to get... only deal is you have to have a permit already from your own state, for it to be real easy. Other states, like Florida and CT and such don't make it as easy. I've got a NH non resident... took me 10 days after receiving my S.C. permit... I've applied for FL, CT and ME... but we'll see. S.C. now has non-resident..but there is only one catch, you have to own property in the state.

mvpel

...only deal is you have to have a permit already from your own state, for it to be real easy...
Your license no longer has to be from your own state, due to a change in administrative rules in 2005. So folks in anti-gun states like Mass. or NJ can get a Florida license, and then get a New Hampshire non-resident license.