Non-Reloader Has Some Questions

Single Six

As stated, I don't hand load. But I do read gun magazines, and I often come across hand loading terms in the articles that I just don't understand. I know, I could do a Google search, but this is one reason I'm on TFL! So, can someone please explain to me: 1. I know what primers are, but what is a berdan primer? I saw at least one article where these were mentioned and they seemed to be implying that berdan primers were highly desirable. Why so? Is it a brand name, or what? 2. What is a cannelure? 3. What does it mean when they say a cartridge has been "necked down"? I have other questions I'll post later, but I don't want to over-do it on one thread. Thanks for any responses.

Don H

TFL has a library (link at top of page). The Library contains a link to a list of firearms terminology, abbreviations and acronyms: http://www.snipercountry.com/Comp.htm

The terms you have questions about are all defined in the linked list. For example:
Berdan Primer - A primer containing no internal anvil. In the Berdan system, the anvil is an integral part of the cartridge case, formed by a conical projection rising from the floor of the primer pocket, and flanked by ( normally ) twin flash holes. Berdan cases are not convenient for reloading, as depriming requires special equipment and is time-consuming. Some claim this to be more accurate, since the twin flash holes ensure more even ignition of the powder.

TXGunNut

Berdan primers are difficult but not impossible to reload, all but the most adventurous of us use cases that utlize the Boxer system because it is easier to reload. Boxer primers use a central flash hole that also accomodates decapping. They are named for their designers.
A cannelure is a knurled section on a jacketed bullet that is sometimes used for a crimping groove, sometimes used to hold the bullet core in place, sometimes both.
Wildcatters often "neck down" an existing cartridge to form one that suits their needs better than the parent cartridge. This saves having to design a completely new case. One example is the 7-30 Waters invented by Ken Waters. He necked down .30-30 Win cases to accomodate 7mm bullets.
These are the short, oversimplified answers, I know you're not a reloader (yet;) ) but a good reloading manual gives a much better explanation of these and other terms.

Mike40-11

There are 2 types of primers currently used. Boxer primarily in the US and Berdan in Europe. Boxer's are reloadable, Berdan are not. They do have a reputation for being quite reliable, stable and suitable for long term storage. But, IMO, not any more than 'regular' Boxers.

A cannulure is a groove in a bullet that the mouth of the cartridge is crimped into. Holds the bullet more securely for rough handling.

To neck down a case is to reduce the diameter at the mouth. For example, a 25-06 is a 30-06 cartridge 'necked down' from 30 caliber to 25.

Edit - I opened the reply window then had to set the computer down for a couple of minutes. By the time I came back and finished typing, the questions had already been answered. :rolleyes:

Single Six

Don H: Okay, I've smacked myself upside the head for having never paid attention to, or even using, the TFL library feature...boy, talk about overlooking the obvious, huh? :eek: Thanks for pointing that out to me, and thanks to you other fellows too.

Jim243

As a side note:

Berdan was a US military Colonel that developed one type of primer and Boxer was a British military Cornel that developed anther type.

The US uses Boxer's system and Europe uses the Berdan system, go figure.

US dies are setup to decap Boxer primers only.

Jim

Jimro

A complete asside, the English "Colonel" and the French "Coronel" are the same rank. For some reason we say "Kernel" instead of "Callonnel".

Berdan primed brass can be reloaded, but you have to pry the primer out from the rear instead of pushing it out with a pin, then you have to set in the new Berdan primer, but not too deeply....

Jimro

Darren007

The new Hornady "steel" ammo is all Berdan primers for some reason.

Ammo makers do this sometimes as an attempt to discourage you from reloading the cases. Although steel cases are often thought of as non-reloadable anyway, it can and Im sure is down by some reloaders. (A gun magazine actually had a fairly recent article about loading steel cases.) This was the reason CCI gave for priming their aluminum cased "Blazer" brand ammo. Although I think they have recently switched to predominately boxer primed aluminum cases due to cost.

Another reason could be due to the fact that its manufactured in Eastern Europe and is perhaps cheaper over there to use berdan primers maybe? Not sure.