Non-metal sights, specifically Glocks

Lohman446

I hear a lot of concern about the stock plastic sights. Ok I get the theoretical concern.

Has anyone actually had an issue with recent Glock sights? Not discussing issues that happened a decade ago.

I'm curious because they seem fairly robust on mine.

Brownstone322

I don't regularly carry -- I have no real need to -- so I don't beat my guns around the way some people might. I think the plastic sights on my two Glocks are underrated: They're highly visible and pretty good for daylight/range shooting. That said, I want to replace them with day/night sights (fiber optic plus tritium), but until I do, I think they're OK.

But, man, some people are gonna disagree with everything I said. ;)

Rangerrich99

Let me start by saying that I'm neither a fan nor a basher of Glocks in general. That said, I recently picked one up earlier this year, a Glock 19 gen 4, and found the gun and the sights serviceable. Due to the way the gun fits my hand, I found the gun to shoot slightly left (about an inch at 10 yards, which I chose to ignore. So I had no plans at all to change those sights, in spite of the fact they were plastic. Now I don't abuse my guns by throwing them, dropping them, jamming the front sight against things to cycle the slide, etc. Ever. I treated the gun the way I treat all of my guns.

About two months after buying it, it inexplicably began shooting more than three inches to the left. After some examination I found that the front sight was actually leaning slightly to the left. Further inspection proved that the plastic sight itself was actually slightly bent. I ordered a set of metal sights and had them installed; problem solved.

Is my experience common? I don't believe it is, even though there are a few reviews around the interwebs that describe nearly identical experiences. But these instances seem to be rare. In fact, out of everyone I know that owns a glock, I'm the only one that seems to have had this problem.

So I'd say that the odds are that the stock plastic sights on your gun will probably be fine for however long you own it. Just keep in mind that plastic is just simply not as durable as steel. So if they break/bend/whatever, no big deal, just get a new set.

ritepath

Many lives depend on small pieces of plastic every day in various medical equipment, vehicles, and airplanes along with dozens of other critical applications. What is the fear of nearly impossible to break chunk of plastic sitting on top of a metal slide of a firearm?

cslinger

I have seen a couple folks rip off the front sight on Glocks. Never saw a problem with the rear.

Honestly they are pretty robust but they do fail. For such a critical component I think you want metal sights.

Kwik2010

My 21sf gen 3 wore it's original plastic sights for the better part of 5 years. Then one day about 2 years ago at the range I pulled the trigger and the slide jammed about halfway back. I tapped and racked and went to pull the trigger again only to realize I didn't have a front right anymore. It had clean fallen off. I'm assuming the plastic screw on the bottom had jammed itself between the barrel and the slide and then was freed when I racked it hard enough. I found it jammed up in the recoil spring. That being said, the plastic front sight lasted that long with fairly hard use. That firearm was always either bouncing around in my center console or riding along on the four wheeler or being stuffed in and out of a holster. But in the end I replaced them with steel ones because they were pretty inexpensive and to me they provide a tad bit piece of mind. I sold it last year unfortunately. When I get another, it'll receive steel sights as soon as it is mine. Every other Glock I have or have had has either steel sights or a steel rear and a night front to date.

Last edited:

TailGator

I mashed the front sight of my G26. Don't remember exactly how I did it, to be honest, but I probably did something dumb. The original rear sights are still on mine, with a metal night sight on the front.

When replacing the damaged front sight, I remember thinking that the plastic was softer than I expected. I don't know if the rear sights are a different plastic (not likely) or just less prone to damage due to the shape.

5whiskey

I can't find the post, but my favorite of all time was a member here who called them "plastic dovetail and stake-hole covers" and refused to refer to them as sights.

FWIW, most folks I know who carry one for duty opt for metal night sights. Most LE agencies also opt for metal sights. All that being said, I've never seen the plastic sights fail but also most of my peers/companions have metal sights on theirs... so small sample size to observe for the plastic version.

Lohman446

I appreciate the replies. Its a consideration I am making and I do appreciate to hear about the first hand experiences and issues. I get that they are rare but they are not the "I've heard about it on the internet but never actually witnessed it" rare I was hoping for.

TunnelRat

You can find Meprolight night sights for Glock on Amazon for $40. It's cheap insurance against what has been mentioned here and elsewhere.

zeke

Personally like the large white outline, and large gap between the front/rear sight bars. Am calling them old man with poor eye sight sights because can use them up close even with "fuzzy" vision.

Fishbed77

As far as I'm concerned the plastic sights on Glocks are placeholders only, and I get the feeling Glock feels the same way about them. They aren't even particularly good plastic sights.

All of them were replaced immediately upon purchase of all the Glocks I own. Glock-branded steel night sights can be had for under $60, and other steel sights can be had for much less. As Tunnel rat said... cheap insurance.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I've not had a problem with Glock plastic sights if the gun is purely for basic range use--no holster work, no carry, no practicing malfunction drills, etc. They will work and hold up well in my experience.

---BUT---

With holster work, the plastic front sight can loosen up over time.. The plastic rear sights seem to hold up well to holster work since they don't really come in contact with a typical holster.

If you practice one-handed racking techniques using the plastic rear sight, you will probably eventually pop it off the slide. Some malfunction drills can stress the rear sight.

So if you just want a gun to shoot at the range, don't bother replacing the plastic sights. If you do, somehow knock one off, you can replace either the front or rear sight with a Glock plastic part for under $5.

If you plan to do the kinds of things that can cause issues with the plastic sights, or if you just want steel sights, you can purchase a Glock steel front or rear sight for about $10. Glock night sights are considerably more but are still pretty cheap as night sights go.

rodfac

We've owned two Glocks here for the past 7-8 years with no problems with the plastic sights. That said, if doing it again, I'd opt for tritium night sights, of steel construction, since we use the guns for night-stand home defense or CC. Rod

Joe_Pike

If they bother you, send the slide to Glock and they will change them to metal sights for $20 or night sights for $57.

Theohazard

I’ve worked at three different LGSs over the last 6 years (two of which sold thousands of Glocks a year and had busy ranges) and I’ve personally seen several cases of Glock sights being mashed through some kind of impact. Usually it’s the front sight. Small, soft plastic parts attached to a steel slide just don’t hold up well to impact. That said, I’ve also seen cases of aftermarket metal front night sights breaking off also.

The primary reason to change Glock sights isn’t that they’re fragile (though they are), it’s that their sight picture is absolute crap. The white outline rear draws your eye to the rear sight too much and the rear notch was designed for the Weaver stance. But now that more and more people are using an isosceles stance that puts the gun farther away from your eyes, a larger rear sight notch is needed to give a large enough gap for the front sight.

I prefer a brightly-colored front and a flat-black rear with a large u-notch. Tritium inserts are a bonus, but shouldn’t be the priority. Way, way too many people focus on simply getting night sights when they should focus instead on getting sights that work well for them in the daylight. The tritium night sight part should just be a bonus.

Last edited:

JohnKSa

Administrator
...a larger rear sight notch is needed to give a large enough gap for the front sight.
I agree that the rear notch should be larger. In fact, this is a fairly common problem on stock pistols sights these days.

amd6547

My G26 and G17 both have had the plastic sights, and I haven’t had a problem. I actually like the dot in a bucket sight picture for fast, close shooting.
However, I am currently looking for sights that give me a wider rear notch/skinnier front.
Looking at the ads just confuses me, so I haven’t made a decision.