Non-greasy solvent?

ScotchMan

When I started shooting I bought a cheap, do-all cleaning kit by Gunslick with solvent, lube, and various sized tools. It was like $12, you know the kind.

After a while I confused the solvent with the lube and dumped it all over the floor. So it was time for a new bottle of solvent.

I bought the small-sized Hoppes #9 since it is universally loved. Well, I don't love it. It's greasy! My hands and gun are covered with a greasy layer and I have to wipe down my guns when I'm done, not to mention the fingerprints I repeatedly leave on it because the stuff won't come off my hands. The cheap Gunslick stuff that the kit came with didn't work quite as quickly but it was a lot more fun to work WITH.

Can you recommend a gun solvent that is NOT greasy like Hoppes seems to be? Is the Gunslick solvent good? (this is NOT the foaming stuff, just regular liquid solvent) I went through a bunch of old threads on here and no one mentioned any Gunslick other than the foam, so I'm not sure if its garbage or what.

Silent Bob

Hoppe's Elite/M-Pro 7 (same product) are non-greasy cleaners. They do degrease the metal rather effectively so you will need to be sure to re-oil afterwards, especially with blued steel.

No experience with Gunslick products.

wogpotter

Another vote for M-Pro 7. The stuff feels "dry" surprising for a liquid, but it works well & has no slimy or slippery feel at all.