Non AR 5.56: what are your favorites?

stonewall50

I am just curious what is out there. What would you buy? If you HAD to of course. What are reliable options? Accurate options? That kind of thing. What would you use if you were allergic to AR15s and couldn’t use them lol (not their mags or accessories...just the rifle itself).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrueBlue711

I have a Sig 556 and love it. It's like an AR and AK had a baby and this was it. Only issue is it's weight. Heavier than what I would want a 5.56 to be, but very reliable.

Haven't shot them, but hear great things about the Bren 805, SCAR 16 (super expensive though), Tavor (if you don't mind bullpups) and Sig MCX. Though the MCX is very AR like.

This video does a good job running through many of the non-AR options for 5.56: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8KmC3QohPk

Fishbed77

Well the obvious answer to many is the AK.

I'm also personally fond of the vz58.

These are obviously most-commonly found chambered in 7.62x39mm. I wasn't sure from your initial post if you are looking for something specifically in 5.56x45mm (also variants exist).

DubC-Hicks

In a traditional layout, I really like the CZ 805. A lot of people consider it an equal of the SCAR, but at around half the cost.

In a bullpup, I really like the Tavors

bassJAM1

I looked really hard at the SIG 556 before getting an AR. The biggest reason I didn't get one was AR's started plummeting in price.

If I was rich, I'd get the SCAR 16. I'd look hard at the 805 Bren as well, I've been keeping an eye on it for a few years waiting for it to make its way to our shores.

ttarp

Steyr AUG is where its at, efficient use of space, modular so it takes down and customizes easily, and superb balance. We're about to see a significant boost in aftermarket parts and accessories soon too.

Other than that, I like the Hk93 type rifles, Century makes one of dubious quality, as does Vector, which might be a little better, but Zenith is importing a good quality version. Great reliability, good accuracy, expensive mags, a little hefty, but I love em anyway.

RC20

Robinson Arms XCR. I think they have a match grade one as well now.

The company has been back and forth on support, currently seems to be doing much better.

I moved on when the support was iffy, but I thought it was the quintessential 20th century version of an AK (I have shot one of those as well).

Ergonomics on the XCR were vastly better than the AR (have shot those to, nothing against them but I am really picky about things in the right place and I don't think the AR is anywhere close)

Its gotten somewhat trendy vs an AR. Same mags, I think you can get it in 7.62 AK, 6.8 SPC maybe.

I had read a lot about AR accuracy, never saw in a number of guns.

The XCR I had (heavy barrel) was good for 1.5 MOA x 5 shots.

Wyosmith

One I kinda like was the FN Bullpup (m2000 I think it was) But it was way overpriced.
And I'd agree that the AUG is cool.

But honestly, my favorite "other than AR 223" is a bolt action CZ

T. O'Heir

Preference is my M1 Carbine. Until our idiot government declared 'em evil. So it'd be my M-1 Rifle. Either of which will shoot circles around any AK and absolutely any Mini-14.
Prefer the M1 to my semi'd Winchester M-14 too. Not entirely sure why though. I think it's the perfect balance of the M1 Rifle. Although the M-14(it's evil up here too. Same as it is Stateside. ATF exported their idiotic 'Once an MG' idea.)with the fibreglass stock is pleasant to carry and gives you .308. It's just not the same as an M1 Rifle.

COSteve

A great looking and shooting 5.56 that's nothing like the 3 ARs I have is my 583 Series Mini-14. With my 62grn handloads it just over a 1 MOA shooter.

As you can see, I've tweaked it a bit to resemble my NM M1A.

39j2Tdw.jpg

Danoobie

Marlin 1894.

As to an AR of a different caliber-the AR10 in 30.06-BN36- when this puppy went
30% off, on sale, I had to have it. Took a little doing, but it's shooting great, now.

Guv

Another vote for the Sig 556,
I have a DMR and a SWAT Patrol.
Both flawless.
Aren't we talking about 5.56 cartridge guns?

Plunderer

I'm a big Mini-14 guy. Gotta love that chunky action and classic appearance.

I'm also partial to the Tavor and FN F2000. I love a good spacegat.