non AR .223 bolt or SA rifles

pappa

Looking at ammo prices, 9mm and .223 can't be bettered. So I thought first about a HandiRifle in .223. Then maybe the Zastava bolt, if I can find one used around $150-200. (too cheap?). Don't want to replace my primary weapons. Just something inexpensive I can enjoy inexpensive shooting. Any suggestion on possibilities I haven't thought of. Thanks. Pat

Mobuck

I seriously doubt you'll find a mini-Mauser(especially a .223) for $150-200.
You might find a really beat Savage BA in .223 for under $250.
I carried a NEF .223 as a pickup rifle for a couple of years but quit it because of inconsistent accuracy. Carried a Wby Vanguard .223 for a couple of years but quit that due to the overall length. Those would be the opposite ends of the lower cost alternatives.

FrankenMauser

Reload.
It's notably cheaper than paying retail prices for factory ammo.
Or, if you look at it the way that many of us reloaders do.... You get to shoot 2, 3, 5, or 10+ times as much as you can when paying for factory ammo.

If you're not interested in entertaining the though of reloading....

Remove the gas tube, flip your gas block upside down, and run the AR as a manual repeater. ;)
I have an upper operating in that fashion. Though, there's more to it than just wanting it to be a manual repeater. (Testing and explanation to come in the future. I paid $11 for the barrel and $8 for the gas block. :D)

For something "off the shelf" I'd be looking at a Ruger American or constantly checking Gunbroker for guys that are off-loading discontinued Marlin X7s. Though the .223 version is never as cheap as the standard short action or long action 'calibers', it can still be found for less than $250 if you're patient (and willing to take on an "orphan" rifle that has no factory support).
I wouldn't touch a Handi-Rifle unless I could shoot it first. They're even worse-off than the Marlin X7s, in their obsolescence and lack of warranty support. (They were also discontinued, if you haven't heard.)

For $150-200, your best bet is reloading...

P71pilot

I am 99% sure 7.62x39mm is cheaper than .223

As for a cheap cheap .223 I figure a used H&R is about what you'd be looking for in your price range.