Nominate replacement for Beretta as official sidearm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New_comer

What should have been the replacement of the 1911?

Well, let's "imaginate"/play around with this subject a little. The way i see it, arguing what could have been is like crying over spilled milk. I say: "Enough of that (while stomping my feet :D )!", and deal with what could be done at the present. What I would be interested in is: should the military decide right now to change the official sidearm ,
what would be the best choice among the current crop of pistols? why?

Regards,

New_comer

PS,

Me? i'd choose a the most reliable pocket rocket in 45cal. Taurus PT145, Republic Arms45. Heck, I have a long gun, for crying out loud! JMHO :D

lonegunman

The Beretta 92 is not my idea of the perfect military sidearm... but there is no way I would change it right now.

The guns are still relatively new, and meet the basic requirements the military needs. Bottom line is handguns are not an important enough part of military operations to justify getting rid of all the Berettas right now.

2kiddad

Glock 17

For the same reasons already posted in the previous thread, the Glock 17 should replace the Beretta. Glock, like they already do for several police organizations around the world, could, (and probably would), equip it with a safety if AD's are a concern.

Coronach

In order of preference:

Browning Hi-Power 9mm
Glock 9mm

Reason?

1911- There isn't a damn thing wrong with the 1911 design, and until it is superceded by something significantly better, there was no reason to have replaced it. Therefore, we should go back to it, if for no other reason than tradition.

Browning HP- Its a durable, combat-proven design. If we must have a 9mm, then here is a good candidate. (note: I prefer 9mm to .45, but this is all personal preference). 17+1 rounds of 9mm, using SA-style mags.

Glock 9mm- I'm not a fan of glocks, but again, this is personal preference talking. If any one pistol could lay claim to significantly surpassing the 1911 design, this might be it. 18+1 rnds of 9mm in a polymer frame with a simple take-down.

Mike

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greeting's All,

The 1911 carried this country through thick
and thin, for 70 or so year's. My question is,
was this for NATO's benefit; or the benefit of
all U.S. servicemen and women? However, if the
1911 had to be replaced; I'd vote for the Sig
P226 to be the U.S. Service pistol. You asked,
"Why"? One reason, Reliability; not to
mention its outstanding accuracy.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

adept

i think that part of the reason that the 1911 was replaced was logistics. through out the years, almost every ground fighting force in the world has used a 9mm. which means that the US switching to a 9mm would make ammo interchangeable. just think about not having to carry a large quantity of ammo for your sidearm when doing an insertion into hostile regions. after any firefight, take your enemy's ammo for later use.

just something to think about. several people that i know who served in Viet Nam, would pack their 1911s away, and use a pistol stripped from a enemy with their ammo.

and as far as changing the service sidearm, now is not the time to be honest. that is something better suited to peace times. when extensive <yeah right> training can be done with it. i would hate to have our service men and women issued a new firearm during a conflict. "here, try this new whizzbang 9mm tank buster...no we don't really know how it works but we're sure you'll figure it out."

Adept

chrismc1

I too, vote the Browning P-35. It has a minimal learning curve with the 1911, only major differences are that it breaks down a little differently, it has no grip safety, and it has a magazine safety, unless removed or designed without one, such as the Nazi versions.

The Beretta was a good choice functionally, but its a bit large for a 9mm.

Glock is also a good choice, but no second strike capablity.

The Walther P99 is another option, like the Glock, polymer-framed, and easy to strip, unlike the Glock, it does have second strike capablity

Some members of my family want the .45 back, but there are too many weapons in service here and elsewhere that use 9mm. Some can be converted, most can't without replacing the weapon itself, which would become a logistics nightmare.

AC's & 45's

That's easy.... a 1911 only made with current technology, (ie. modern steels, manufacturing processes etc...) .

Most importantly it would still be chambered in good old military 230 ball. My 1911 cents worth !:D

yorec

All right, just to be controversial, how about the Berretta 96?

Just kidding - sort of. I would look more heavily into the FN M49. It seems to be just what the doctor ordered, but will it hold up to military use?

Joe Demko

Goldplated Desert Eagle w/ faux pearl grips chambered in the .357 B&D for officers. Handguns for officers serve primarily as a badge of office, much like sabers did for a long time, rather than a weapon. Might as well make it a big, shiny impressive looking badge of office. Same thing in black TiN for enlisted. Those who are issued handguns among the enlisted get them mainly so they won't feel "unarmed." A nice big, heavy pistol should be a security blanket they'll appreciate. Why the .357 B&D? In the event that one of our pistoleros should actually have to shoot at somebody in combat, the .357 B&D is a flat-shooting cartridge w/ power and penetration to spare. Heck, add a C96 style holster/stock combo, and you have a nifty little carbine. Since most of our military is made of people young enough to have grown up watching movies with the Desert Eagle in them, they'll have high confidence in the "way cool" gun they saw on the silver screen so many times.

Handy

I think some are missing the benefit of getting rid of the 1911: Now troops are allowed to keep a round in the chamber, with the 1911 you weren't. How would you like to be on guard duty with an empty chamber?

So, SIG, Glock, Ruger, Star, HK, whatever as long as it's stong, simple and accurate, but it's not going to be a cocked and locked design.

garrettwc

One more vote for the P99!

The Browning would be my second choice. And I put my money where my mouth is. I have a NIB pre-ban MKIII sitting in the safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.