Noise!!!!!

oldcars

I have a strange question- I live in rural eastern Oregon, and usually carry some kind of gun with me in the truck for the occational badger, coyote,rattlesnake, rabit,etc. I end up walking around looking at old homesteads, cars,and such so a lightwieght hand gun that I can put in my back pocket is what I prefer. I like something larger than a .22, and my current choices are 2 1/2" S&W 357 (with 38sp.), Kahr K9 9mm, and a Springfield commander sized lightwieght 1911 .45acp. What is the Quietest out of these? Is there another caliber that is quieter? (besides 22) I never target shoot without ear muffs, and I have sensative ears, but out in the field I don't usually carry ear protection (varmints move fast!!) I do handload, mabe I should have posted there, but I will try here first. Thanks in advance-

Dwight55

None of those choices are quiet, . . . in fact, . . . unless you go to sub sonic little .22's, . . . there aren't any "quiet" handgun calibers, . . . and it's kind of a rule of thumb that the shorter the barrel, . . . the louder the squawk.

There are any number of sonic/electronic muffs and even some ear plugs on the market that allow regular hearing, . . . but shut down anything above say 85 db. You might want to look into one of them.

May God bless,
Dwight

oldcars

I know no pistol is "quiet", I'm just looking for the least painfull- would a faster burning powder help?

dwatts47

no.... faster burning powder is not noticalbe quieter.

Only mechancial changes help... comp/flash hider is louder. Short barrel is louder than long barrel.

But lets be realistic, Its a gun not a hybrid car. If it works (and doesn't have a suppressor) its loud. Best bet is walkers game ear that blocks out loud sounds and amplifies small ones.

Ralph Allen

Have you tried simple foam ear plugs? Cheap, easy to wear, and you can actually hear very well with them in, even though they block out LOUD noises.
Ralph

Lou22

My guess would the least loud of your choices would be the 9mm shooting 147gr subsonic loads. Second choice would be the .45 with subsonic (230gr). I do know shooting a short-barreled .357 is gonna be really loud, unless you go .38 special in it. But still with any of those loads you probably are gonna make your ears ring without ear protection.

When I was a teenager I regularly shot a 4 inch .357 at the range without ear protection. I know, stupid, stupid. My ears still ring after 30 years. I'm surprised I have as much hearing left as I do.

crowbeaner

Walkers Game Ears are the solution. You can hear the bugs hit the windshield, and they block out the heavy noise of gunfire. The .45 goes boom rather than crack of the .357 and is easier on MY ears anyway. I'd carry a longer barreled gun anyway if it was me. Just my humble $0.02. Enjoy. CB.