NOE 452 230gr RG4 cavity

Vance

When I first got this mold last year, It would not cast a bullet without flashing. No matter what I did, flashing all around except the bottom. I put it aside intending to contact NOE for a repair or replacement. Forgot all about it.

Last week, Beagle posted about the new brass NOE mold he got and I made a comment how I had troubles with the RG4 I have. Several posted that I should contact NOE to correct the problem. I did.

Even though I have had the mold for nearly a year, Al Nelson, Owner of NOE, said send it back and I will either repair it, replace it or would give me a refund.

I sent it back. It arrived at NOE on Monday. Al Nelson evaluated it, repaired it (some burrs around the holes for the pins removed and the pin brackets replaced) and called me telling me what he had found and what he did. I got a shipment notification email later on Monday. I received it on Thursday.

I did cast with it today and it is doing a satisfactory job. I think it will get better after I get some more casting done with it. I am still not impressed with the rg hollow point system though.

I will post pictures of the bullets later.

Vance

The only way this mold could be better is if it was made out of brass instead of aluminium. Beside the rg pin system.

Vance

One is as cast and the other is sized and lubed with carnauba red from White Label Lubes.

I know they will get better after the mold get broken in. This was only the 3rd small batch from it

Beagle333

Oh yeah! I like all that bearing surface and that nice gaping maw of a HP. :D

Ok... now I want one.
viking.gif

Mike / Tx

That looks pretty good. I like those big mouthed HP's for the slower velocity loads.

I am looking hard on his 401200 for my 10mm. Looking at the site it will throw a big HP at around 180grs and the solid at 200. I'm hoping that when I touch base with him I might be able to get a set of cup point pins with it as well and maybe split the weight to around 195. I'm thinking with that mold and pins, and my alloy I would be set for anything hunting or SD wise.

If I can get anywhere close to the performance of the Speer GD that I normally use, it sure will save me a lot of money, and I'll be able to get back to shooting my other sweetheart. Well shooting it more than I have anyway.

Elkins45

I am still not impressed with the rg hollow point system though.

It's funny how opinions differ. I'm a fan of the RG pin system as compared to the Cramer style pins of the MP molds. Both work to make good bullets but I like the fact there aren't the sliders sticking out the side of the mold.

Beagle333

I like both. They each have their little differences and headaches. But I really am starting to like the ones that can close a Group Buy in less than 2 years!!!!:rolleyes:

I pushed for a .270 mold at NOE and it got started last week and we got enough names to go from discussion to ordering the tooling, in 7 days! (He will start milling with only 10 names on the order list)

Oh... if you're in the market for a 160gr .270 Loverin design, it's still open. It's just that now it has enough names to order tooling and go to production. When the tooling gets here (in a week and a half), he'll close it and it'll be a regular stocked item. But I like signing up during the Group Buy and getting that 15% discount. ;)

Last edited:

Miata Mike

Al will go out of his way to make things right. Kind of nice how you can call his phone number and get to talk to him. At least that is the way it was last year. :D

Vance

Yes, Al answers his own phone. About 3 years ago I had bought a 360160 swc 5 cavity plain base mold from him. I cast with it once and thought "Dang, I wish I had ordered it in gas checked". I called him up and talked to him about it and he let me trade the mold in for the gas check version. I will have no problem ordering from him again.