No serial number on MA firearm?

Third_Rail

I recently bought a Mossberg 500a shotgun from AG guns here in MA, and I can't for the life of me find a # on it. Did I buy a pre-68 (or whatever year #s became mandatory) shotgun, and is it legal?

croyance

I don't know, but are there odd machining marks? Long and generally rectangular?
How did AG Guns record the transaction? After all, there were forms to fill out.

Third_Rail

No missing #s that I can see, and Greg from AG Guns couldn't find a number either, so he logged it as "none".

While registered (thanks, MA! :mad: ), there's no # to actually prove anything, hence my rather odd question.

JimDiver

You could always scribe your own serial number on it....

Or your state's DOJ might be able to help you out with putting one on it, but it might end up registered if you do.

Third_Rail

Well, it's already registered, just registered as "none" in the # field.

So I guess it's all legal, then. I have an older shotgun - puts my mind at ease knowing it's always been like that!

Wallew

I have a similar 500A sitting on my bench. NSN stands for NO SERIAL NUMBER, which is how your seller should have listed it.

As the man said, prior to the 1968 Gun Control act SOME manufacturers did NOT put serial numbers on their firearms.

It is 100% legal. At least everywhere I am aware of. Hope that helps.