No More Gun Rags For Me

Sierra

So I was at the grocery store looking over the magazines and was planning on buying one. Interesting article in one by Clint Smith which told of the characteristics of his students at Thunder Rance for the past decade. Looked good, decided to buy it when I noticed it was $5.00.

$5.00 for what? A lot of advertising, one decent article and a lot less knowledge than is on this board any day of the week.

I put the magazine back on the rack and have bought my last one... for a while at least.

BigG

I felt the same way when Mas Ayoob started to tell his stories of the legal horrors of removing the magazine safety from the Browning High Power.

After a couple decade hiatus, I subsequently got a one year subscription to Handguns and was appalled by the dozens of editorial mistakes in each issue, apart from the meager content and insipid writing.

I know how you feel. Five bucks to get enraged and disgusted. :mad:

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Rifle, Precision Shooting, The Accurate Rifle, SWAT and American Handgunner. That's about it for me.. I rarely even look at them in grocery stores anymore.

Oh, Sporting Classics is an other good read. Better than the old Field and Stream.

UltimaThule

you can't take your computer into the bathroom.
Well, you could if you have a laptop.

But as far as versatility is concerned, a computer would be completely useless if you run out of toilet paper... :D

Oh dear...

I wonder if I should give my unvarnished opinion of the vast majority of gun rags out there today...

I did in another thread a couple of days ago and set of a miniwar.... :D

hksigwalther

Do what I do. Take the latest catalogs from Cabelas, CTD, Sportsman's Guide, Brownells, Midway, SOG, AIM, Shotgun News, Gun List, Bushmaster, Dillon, and SciFi books.

C.R.Sam

But,...you can't take your computer into the bathroom.
Nope, lessen you have good eyes and a long string on keyboad....or a laptop.

I do have seven shelves of books in a bathroom.

Sam

Libertarian

But,...you can't take your computer into the bathroom.
That is why WiFi was invented. I post some of my best stuff while sitting on the throne. (and if I run out of TP, it is just a step to the shower.)

Blackhawk

I've bought just one copy of a gun rag in my whole life. Supermarket. Within the past year. Wanted to read what it said about Khar firearms. Doubt if I'll be buying one again in the foreseeable future....

sm

Last on I bought was because a buddy had an article and ad In AH.

Old boy once said- "all ain't what appears when money present"
guess thats why I quit the paper.

CR Sam--"seven bookshelves" wow you gotta BIG bathroom...:)

jrsower

Read for free

I have a pretty flexible job that let's me leave the office regularly. You can find me a couple times a month at Barnes and Noble sitting in one of those comfy chairs with a pile of gun rags beside me. I get to read all the good stuff and all the junk without dropping a penny.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I've been generally pleased with Guns&Ammo. I tend to ignore Wonderninecrunchenticker tests, but I've found many good articles and editorials. It's about the only one that's interesting enough that I would subscribe to it; and via subscription the price seems reasonable.

Art

Libertarian

I quit renewing my subscription to Guns & Ammo a long time ago. Their content was thinner than their advertizing and the content that remained was pathetic.

There are only two magazines I'll subscribe to: Playboy (for the articles) and SOF (for the pictures).

KSFreeman

Gun rags are horrific! Guns & Bulls**t.

How much retread, made up rubbish can one gun nut stand?
Imaginary goats.
Shooting running jackrabbits at 743.87 yards with .22 mag pistol.
Shoot until maimed.
"Flamethrower" pistols in glossy photos.
Photos of beach volleyball players pointing guns at themselves.
9mm vs. .45acp.
Imaginary militree service in the 1st Force Recon/ SEEL Team 37.25 Tactical Storekeepers' Detachment--Alpha in Soldier of Fiction.
And, of course, flowered shirts.:D

Betty

"Gun rags" are old crusty t-shirts that I cut up into little squares and dunk into a bottle of Hoppes.

Get a subscription to SWAT. It's the only magazine where you can go "Hey, look! A Molon Labe hat! Wow! There's George Hill shooting a really tiny gun!"

:D

dfaugh

I agree

I haven't bought on in months (used to buy one a week)..Roughly since I started w/ TFL, and a couple other good newsgroups...Doubt I'll ever buy another