No Handgun worth more than $500

Status
Not open for further replies.

marano

Just my opinion and maybe in other parts of the country prices are different from where I live but I just have never seen a handgun that I would be willing to pay over $500.00 for. I did and inventory of my handguns the other day and found that I have 32 at the present. I have, Smith's, Rugers, Glocks, a Beretta, Makarov's, Tokarev's, new ones, older ones, single action, double action and I just don't ever see me paying over $500.00 for one. I haven't yet and I just don't plan on doing so. Gun makers that price them that way turn me off. A gun is a tool and there are some good ones but they are not worth the prices I see others paying for them.

jmr40

You must have owned all of them for a while. There are several on your list that I'd be content with owning. But I can no longer get those for under $500.

Sparks1957

The OP is certainly entitled to his opinion, and fortunately there are options available for him. Limited options, probably.

bedbugbilly

As Creeper said, I don't know what response you're looking for.

I will make one comment though on the price of guns . . . and tools of which you point out that a gun is a tool.

I have a hard time paying some of the prices that are put on tools as well . . . saws, drills, etc. But, like the gun and tool industry are very similar in one way . . . they both have to carry liability insurance on their products. On a new gun of any type, that's part of the price . . . a hefty part. On a used gun or vintage gun, you aren't paying that, nor are you when you buy a "used" tool. If you are buying from a LGS, yes, you in reality are paying for it indirectly as part of the "mark up" that the LGS is putting on it which pays their overhead - of which their general liability is a part of.

There are a lot of new and used guns out there that are less than $500 - so I have to assume that you are limiting yourself to those . . . which is your option and if you are utilizing them as "tools" . . that works out fine. Collectibility of a gun also comes in to play though . . . let me know if you find a really nice Colt 1911-A1 or a Python for under $500 . . . . I'm looking to add a half dozen of each of those to my "tool collection". :)

Mystro

Some people are happy to drive around in a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. Others prefer Porsche and Ferrari. Not to many (if any) Porsche owners willing to trade down to a Honda....Just sayin...;). I have reached a point in my life and gun collection where I don't even want to carry a gun under $800.00 any more. You DO get what you pay for.:D

Last edited:

marano

not really looking for any "type" or response

It is just something I have personally been thinking about for awhile. I think guns like the Colt Python are and Colt 1911, certain Sigs and HK's are neat guns, but I just do not believe they are any better than a 1975 Ruger or a 1965 Smith or similar. I collect guns, however I am not a collector as in just having them to have them. If i was not gonna shoot it I would not own it and I am sure others are the opposite. Just my personal take that some makers price themselves out of the market with buyers like me. It is not just with guns, its with a lot of things. Harley Davidson is another example. I have a Suzuki cruiser. I have had it for twelve years with never a problem. I paid $6000.00 new for it. The closest thing Harley had to this bike at the time was way more and I considered it less motorcycle than what I bought. No way the Harley would have been worth the extra money in my opinion, the Suzuki has been great.

arch308

Believe me, I love a bar-gun and have many handguns that cost less than $500. I even have a couple hunting rifles that were in that price range. I also have a few weapons that cost MUCH more. It's really nice to have and shoot very nice guns and I have found over the years that the higher priced guns will retain their value much better. Some even go up in value. Have you priced a Python lately?
True, the lower priced guns get more usage and serve their purpose but there is just something special about a fine firearm. Sure, a RIA 1911 works just fine but the feel, fit & finish, and look of a Kimber, etc. is hard to beat for me.

Edit: No offense but you can keep your Suzuki and I'll keep my Harleys.

WVsig

I disagree......

trs.gif

wwg-bhp2.gif

Also you have to consider what your 1975 Ruger or a 1965 Smith cost in terms of todays $$$. I would imagine if you did the math you paid more than $500 for them back then in terms of real $$$

Last edited:
To each their own. I own a few Sigs, Colts, Walthers, S&W's & others..etc. the majority of which cost considerably more than $500. It just depends on what you want. If I like a firearm, the price is usually the least of my concern. I don't buy a firearm because it's name, I buy them because of the pros and cons and how they fit my needs. Some just want the Harley,Ed Brown or the Nighthawk. I say good for them. I can say there you USUALLY get what you pay for...just like in the optics department... A great scope cost more than an average run of the mill.

dondavis3

I tend to agree with Mystro
"Some people are happy to drive around in a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. Others prefer Porsche and Ferrari. Not to many (if any) Porsche owners willing to trade down to a Honda....Just sayin.... I have reached a point in my life and gun collection where I don't even want to carry a gun under $800.00 any more. You DO get what you pay for."

Sorry you've decided to miss so many wonderful joys in the shooting life.:confused:

But to each his own

:cool:

lockedcj7

As other have said, it all depends on what you want and what you want it to do.

Until a few days ago, I had never paid more than $500 for a handgun either. I had a burning desire for a Delta Elite but I just couldn't justify the price. I decided that life was too short to deny myself a few of the things that I really want.

I'm in the process of cutting down the number of guns that I own and improving the quality of my collection.

Sure, a Rossi will probably launch bullets just fine but my 649 does it with some refinement and class. It will also probably last longer, be easier to sell and hold its value better.

sigarms228

Each to their own needs and desires.

I have a Honda lawn mower. One of the neighbors bought his at Walmart and says I am nuts paying that much for a lawn mower because his has the same horsepower rating as my Honda. :rolleyes:

Creeper

bedbugbilly said:
I will make one comment though on the price of guns . . . and tools of which you point out that a gun is a tool.

I see you are referring to my current signature line: Gun is tool. Man the weapon... or fool.

In this, I'm not referring to the cost of a gun... but rather the mindset of the man behind it.

Cheers,
C

WVsig

I see you are referring to my current signature line: Gun is tool. Man the weapon... or fool.

In this, I'm not referring to the cost of a gun... but rather the mindset of the man behind it.

In my mind there are a lot tools that can get the job done but some will get the job done more efficiently and with greater precession than others.

Take cooking knives for example. I can go to Target and get a $30 chef knife and it will get the job done. It will stay reasonably sharp for a reasonable amount if time. It will have adequate balance in the hand and will be good enough to cook 90% of the meals I make at home.

However this knife which I own instead will do the job faster, cleaner and with better results than that $30 knife from Target. It cost me a bit more than $30 but for me it was well worth it. I am a capable cook and enjoy cooking. For my sister in law who hates cooking and is not skilled it would be a waste of money because the difference in the $30 knife and the $150 knife is lost on her.

Things like this are subjective... we do not spend your money you do not spend ours so thankfully we all get what we want. Just because something is a tool does not mean all tools are equal in all hands. I think you are making a gross assumption here based on your subjective mindset which can never accurately translate to others... YMMV

shun-knife-review.jpg

K_Mac

Marano it sounds like you have a nice collection of smartly purchased handguns. Good for you.

I only have one firearm that I paid a little more than $500 for: a Ruger GP100 that I bought new a few years ago. With that said my disposable income is what limits my purchases, not the "worth" of those firearms. A fine 1911 like the Baer pictured in WVsig's post is a beautiful handgun, worth every penny-to him and many others. The only reason it is not worth it to me is that it is outside of my budget. I appreciate the craftsmanship and quality of many guns in guns in that category. The guns I have meet my needs in form, function, and price. I am perfectly happy with them, but to say no gun is worth more than I'm willing to pay is as smug as those who say that I don't really value my hobby or my life very highly because of the "cheap" guns I choose to own IMHO.

buckhorn_cortez

Just my personal take that some makers price themselves out of the market with buyers like me

You, and people like you, are not their market. Their market are the people who can appreciate what they build.

BTW - buy a Python today...get ready to pay $2K - $5K for a lightly used to NIB Python. Try and find a S&W Model 25-5 with a 4-inch barrel for under $1200. What you used to pay for guns 15 or 20 years ago is irrelevant in today's market.

TunnelRat

A gun is a tool and there are some good ones but they are not worth the prices I see others paying for them.

Of course there are grades of tools too. I can go to Home Despot and pick up a drill made in Nowhereistan, or I can get a Milwaukee drill or even Craftsman that will at least replace them if they break. Question is, do I need that nice of a tool? Maybe not. But I would imagine that's all a result of the person using it.

If you don't want to pay more than $500, fair enough. There are a lot of good guns that can be had for that money. Though for not a lot more you open up the arena to a lot of other great options.

I'm not entirely sure the point of this thread. You've set some sort of artificial ceiling on your spending. Okay. :confused:

banditgriot

Well it sounds like the market is willing to bear a higher price, so for those of us that can remember $289.00 Ruger P85's and $349.00 Ruger GP100's that time has passed. If you want to see tools/art with extraordinary prices check out some of the custom knife makers...you may need a drink afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.