No-gunsmith scope mounts for Swede Mausers?

Erich

Hi,
Does anybody have any recommendations regarding no-gunsmithing scope mounts for a Swedish 94 Mauser carbine? I've got Willams aperture sights on it right now, and I've *thought* about getting the Willams scope mounts that hold the scope off to the left (very handy for me since I'm both left handed and left eye dominant), but I'd frankly rather not have to hassle with getting someone to drill more holes in the carbine.

I've seen that Cheaper than Dirt has a supposed no-gunsmithing scope mount for 96 Mausers, and I know B-square offers something similar. Does anyone know whether these require the original rear sight mount to still be in place. (Part of why I'm so averse to 'smiths is that when I had the aperture sights installed, the gunsmith (fairly reputable one) took off and lost the original rear sight. So if it's required to mount the B-Square mount, I'm outta luck.)

Let me know what y'all think. ¡Muchas gracias!

B Shipley

You have to remove the rear sight to use the B-square mount. Look them up on the web to see the sight. If you're interested in getting a new rear sight, then Samco global arms should have more rear sights, if not, then a company called Chestnut Ridge might.

Nestor Rivera

Century has the "universial" mauser mount for I think $70 - $80 that suposadly will fit any mauser, either above the bore for bent bolts (m-38) or offset (m-96) if I remember correctly it does require some cutting on the stock (synthetic samco $59) or (wood sarco around $30). The other options are the rear sight replacment types that use pistol or ER scopes sort of Sweed Scouts the go from $50 to $100 depending on mfg'r B-Square of FT worth is the most expensive but probably the best also.

B Shipley

If you're going to butcher the stock, then just sporterize the whole thing and put regular mounts on it. In for a penny, in for a pound. You will have compromised the integrity of the gun. The B-square mounts give it a "scout" rifle appearance, but don't require chopping and you can just unscrew the thing if you want to put it back to original.

Nothing looks as dopey as those offset mounts, in my book. If you want a stock gun with mounts and scope, then buy the M41 version of the 96.