No guns for veterans?

James K

Member In Memoriam
Has anyone seen Neal Knox's column in SGN. It seems the VA has turned over to the FBI all its records of veterans who have been determined (by VA) to be mentally deficient or incompetent. These names will be entered into the NICS system and those people can never buy a gun. VA says that even if they were later determined to be competent, the record cannot be changed. So, in effect, the VA determines that a veteran is incompetent, and classes him with criminals.

If you are a veteran, work on your veterans organizations to stop this nonsense! Knox says not a peep has been heard from the Legion, the VFW, or any other group claiming to represent veterans.

The law clearly states that to fall into the mentally deficient category, the person has to be "adjudicated". That means a court, folks, not a GS-4 in the VA who might next week declare all veterans incompetent.

And of course, vote these monsters out of office. "Chinese" Gore is well aware of this kind of tactic. He not only approves of it, but will expand it at every opportunity if elected. He claims to have "fought" in VN. He was a PR guy, and never fired anything except a notebook.

Jim

Herodotus

If true, this is pretty sick. The VA is supposed to help vets, not make trouble for them. This will destroy their crediblity in the long run and make the VA something we have to distrust, never knowing what they might do with information they might have on us in the future.
The American profession of psychology in its various forms and organizations has been pretty good at protecting itself and its patients from ceaseless government attempts to infringe on its confidentiality, knowing full well what the long term effects could be of such actions. The example of what happened to these professions in the Soviet Union used to be the the rallying point for resisting state encroachment. I hope this is still true.
I believe that we should take these politically motivated attacks on VA patients confidentialy with utmost concern. Given the current administration's clearly stated political agenda, I don't think anybody could honestly argue that these measures are professionally debated and agreed upon actions for the patient's good.

kjm

Yes this is very true, and it originally broke about 2 months ago. I got so hot, I wrote to ALL of the Legislative branch. I've only recieved form letters in reply.

DorGunR

Would re-enlisting constitute mentally deficiency or incompetence?
If it does, then I'm in deep kimchi. :rolleyes:

------------------
"Lead, follow or get the HELL out of the way."

[This message has been edited by DorGunR (edited August 17, 2000).]