No .380 = 9mm Mak win?

seeker_two

Reading through my latest SHOTGUN NEWS ANNUAL, I noticed several ads for the Polish P64, CZ82, and other 9mm Mak pistols at relatively bargain prices. It started me thinking about the 9mm Mak round and the recent lack of .380ACP ammo. Could 9mm Mak (with its ammo availability, firearm prices, and performance) make a strong comeback in the CCW market? And, could we see some mainstream manufacturers offer 9mm Mak options in their pistols (i.e. Bersa, Seecamp, Kel-Tec)?

Just curious.... :D

I've often wondered why Kel-Tec and Ruger don't chamber their pocket autos in 9mm Mak. A bit more oomph than the .380, but not the high pressure of the 9mm Parabellum. :cool:

raftman

I've always preferred the 9mm Makarov over .380. I've owned most of the 9x18 pistols available here. The round is cheaper, more available, and packs a bit more a punch, and many of the guns chambered for it are still rather concealable and virtually all of them are reliable, well-made guns.

KyJim

I've often wondered why Kel-Tec and Ruger don't chamber their pocket autos in 9mm Mak.
Probably because even .380 kicks like a mule from these lightweight pistols. The 9 x 18 would probably be downright painful.

roman3

I've always preferred the 9mm Makarov over .380. I've owned most of the 9x18 pistols available here.

+ 1 but the real problem with the Mak round is that some of the better rounds are either discontinued (Corbon) or are not imported (PS GRAND) anymore.

Even the Barnaul One Handed Shooter boxes which were pretty hot are all but gone.

Not that Silver Bear is a bad choice but between it and Brown Bear and Wolf that is just about all the cheap ammo choice you have. American Eagle is expensive. Fiochi is pretty good but is mid priced.

But you are correct 9x18 is more readily available than 380. Russian firms aren't struggling to keep up with demand.

The Hornady HP is not as hot as it should be. Ft per second is not as good as even Silver Bear (on average) and way short of PS Grand and Corbon which was pushing 1135.

Corbon =
Velocity: (fps)
Range: 1123 - 1153
Avg: 1135
ES: 30
SD: 9

Hornady 95-gr JHP (20 rounds tested)

Manufacturer: Hornady Manufacturing Co., Grand Island, NE
Headstamp: HORNADY 9X18 MAKAROV
Cartridge Case: Brass case, Boxer primed, non-corrosive primer
Bullet: 94.6-gr (1 measured), copper coated with flat copper base
Magnetic: Case and bullet are non-magnetic

OAL (ins)
Range: 0.933 – 0.940
Avg: 0.939

Velocity: (fps)
Range: 908 - 956
Avg: 934
ES: 48
SD: 15

Excellent post on the differnt types of AMMO we once had a choice of. Now the choice are very much limited. The info above courtesy of North Bender.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?299-9x18-Ammunition-Data-Post

Pilot

I shoot much more 9MM Mak than .380 and I reload for .380 so shortage isn't an issue. I just like my Makarovs a lot!

BlueTrain

My experience is that it is hard to tell the difference in the recoil in most pistols between a .380 and a 9mm Makarov. The one exception being the Colt .380 Government Models (not the pre-war .380s), which had the kick of a .22 rimfire. I'd rather see that model make a comeback. But the recoil of .380s in those small pistols makes you understand the popularity of .32 ACP chamberings.

There are larger pistols in .380 like the Berettas, the old Browning BDA and perhaps the CZ82/CZ83 that give you a lot to hold on to but the size cancels out the appeal of the smaller caliber.

I just remembered I couldn't tell the difference in the recoil of a .41 magnum and a .44 magnum.

CajunBass

My experience is that it is hard to tell the difference in the recoil in most pistols between a .380 and a 9mm Makarov

I've never shot a .380 anything, but I found the Makarov to have a rather harsh, snappy recoil. Not bad, but not fun to shoot for long range sessions either. The narrow, hard plastic grips didn't help either.

My CZ-82 has a wider grip that seems to spread the recoil out more making the apparent recoil to be softer at least for me. The CZ is heavier than the Makarov too, I believe, but I don't have the Mak anymore to check side by side.

For ammo, I just carry Wolf FMJ. I just got 500 rounds of Brown Bear that I need to try when the weather gets warmer.

Sevens

If you are going the route of "wishful thinking" then who am I to argue? I've been rooting for the 10mm round since I first heard of it, probably around '87. I still do today.

If you are actually asking for an opinion of whether or not the commercial viability of the round is going to increase in North America, I would have to say "no way, man, it's not happening."

I cite one very valid reason: Component bullets.

As the bullet diameter is larger than .380 or 9mm, it's completely non-standard in North America. The ammo companies would have to either tool up to produce the actual slugs or they'd have to outsource it to some non-North American company.

That would seriously eat in to the profit margin of producing the ammo. So I don't think you'll ever see it become any more commercially successful than it is right now.

I will admit that the mere existence of Cor-Bon and Hornady loadings for it are a shocker in and of themselves, at least in my opinion.

bluetopper

If history is any indication, you just haven't seen any domestic handgun manufacturors start making a hangun in an Eastern Block caliber.

torpeau

I've never shot a .380 anything, but I found the Makarov to have a rather harsh, snappy recoil. Not bad, but not fun to shoot for long range sessions either. The narrow, hard plastic grips didn't help either.

My CZ-82 has a wider grip that seems to spread the recoil out more making the apparent recoil to be softer at least for me. The CZ is heavier than the Makarov too, I believe, but I don't have the Mak anymore to check side by side.

Of the 9X18 pistols, the P-64 probably has the harshest recoil because of its small size -- less grip to hold. 100 rounds out of a P-64 is about the max for me at the range, but it is still one of my favorite pistols.

Pyzon

I love the Silver Bear, FMJ or JHP, and saw it just today in FMJ at $11.50/box, but indoor range folks usually have a stroke if they catch you shooting bi-metal stuff.

Luckily my range has started stocking Blazer for $18/box.

But I agree it is unlikely that manufacturers will chamber anything new in this chambering. Too bad.

obxned

There is little difference in the ballistics of 9mmMak and .380 now that so many companies are making hotter .380 ammo. The biggest difference between them is price and availability. The MAK wins on both counts.

I love my CZ-82, and will probably get one of those light-weight PA-63s soon. Both the pistols and the ammo are great values.

torpeau

There is little difference in the ballistics of 9mmMak and .380 now that so many companies are making hotter .380 ammo.

While you can find some +P .380 more powerful than 9x18, depending on what common brands you compare, the 9x18 could be roughly 15-25% more powerful based on manufacturers' specs.