No. 10 Caps Too Big?

wrangler88

I have a Pietta 1858 Remington Army and Remington No. 10 caps fit great.

I also have a Uberti Whitneyville Dragoon and a Pietta 1860 Army and the No. 10 caps will fall right off if you invert the gun. I've also tried No. 11 caps. The nipples look in okay shape to my newbie eye. Is there something I'm missing here? Maybe a different brand of cap that fits smaller or something?

The different brands are all different sizes. There are a number of posters here who will soon send you a handy-dandy chart that tells exactly the sizes of all the caps from all the different brands. To my surprise, a lot of #11's are smaller than some #10's. So, any second now you'll get some great information about it. Just thought I'd give you a heads up.

Hawg

If it's old enough it may have #9 nipples. I have one of those. They haven't made #9 caps since the early 70's tho.

Hellgate

Wrangler, try CCI#11s they are smaller than Rem#10s. Also CCI#10s are even smaller so they might work too. The Dragoons are a bit more able to smash down the poorly fitting caps due to the long arc for the hammer to fall. Winchester caps are made by CCI so they will be identical to CCI caps. RWS caps are about like the CCI#11s.