NMLRA Range Officer class for free!

On Thursday, March 4 at 3 pm at the Ben Avery Range, the NMLRA will be offering a four hour Range Officer class. The class is free and will be held right outside the building where match contestants sign in. I'll be there as well as one of my classmates from gonne-smithing school..

Pahoo

Wish I could be thar and they would do a class in Iowa

Wish I could be thar and that they would consider these classes across the country. The NMLRA, does have a representative in our area but little or no sponsored activities. Good luck and in addition to the routine information, I'd be interested on know what M/L safety they might present. ...... :confused:

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!

Class is based on the NMLRA Rules & Regulations. There are basically two types of rules:

1) Safety Rules to ensure that everyone is safe.
2) Competition rules. This includes what qualifies for what type of shooting match, range commands, shooter errors (shooting at wrong target, firelock malfunctions and the match), inspection of arms, shooting jackets, etc. Different matches have different rules governning what type of firearms, type of sights, shooting accessories (cross sticks, shaders, false muzzles, etc.), etc.

We went over most of the various rules and were challenged with various scenarios. If you know the Rules and Regulations, you can pass the open book test. Afterward you are Range Officer trainee and must do two four hour blocks of playing range officer before being certified as a range officer.

It is entirely different from the NRA Range Safety Officer or Chief Range Safety Officer class and is worth the effort to take.

Pahoo

Interesting and thanks !!!

firelock malfunctions and the match),
Gary, it's been a number of years since I've heard that term or read it. If it's appropriate, would care you elaborate. .... :)

inspection of arms,
Not entirely familiar with what they are looking for but looks like it's applicable to the competition at hand.. ... :confused:

Check me if I'm wrong but sounds like this class is more stringent than the NRA courses. .... :confused:

Thanks again and;
Be Safe !!!

Sorry Pahoo but firelocks is not a term used in the Rules and Regulations. It has flintlocks, percussions, chunk guns, slug guns, shotguns, revolvers, pistols, etc. Regarding single shot pistols, they distinguish between the plow handle and the saw handle (think Tradition Trapper). Basically these distinctions arise in the various matches and the Rules and Regulations is more about what qualifies for what match, scoring disputes and the Range Officer (say someone shoots the wrong target or couldn't shoot because of malfunctions), etc.

Regarding inspection of arms, there's not much on it but if the Range Officer thinks an firearm is unsafe, he may order that arm off the firing line until it is made safe. The Range Officer is not expected to be a gunsmith, have gunsmithing knowledge or tools with which the arm may be inspected. It's a judgment call.

kwhi43

Range officer has to inspect the arms to see if they qualify for a certain match
such as inspection of a revolver to see if it is legal to use in a "As Issue" match.
My Remington revolver I use can't have the front sight more than .080 thick,
and must be in the little half moon shape. No trigger stops. Conicals can be used, but nobody ever does. Height of the front sight can be any heigh tho. One
range officer inspected my revolver over 15 min. Looking for a trigger stop
because I was friends with a guy who was known to put hidden trigger stops
In revolvers. He never found anything and had to approve my revolver. I won
the match. Watch them Gary, some people can get very clever.;)
I have seen hidden trigger stops in muskets, such as the Zouva, and Enfield.
I have seen rear sights on smooth bore trade guns hidden so you would never
see them. I have a Hawlken that has a hidden peep sight on it, that you can't
see. Fellows would wear a wide brim hats and fold down the front as shade and
cut a hole in it to see and shoot thru as a peep. In my 50 years of shooting
I have seen just about everything.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. I never knew there'd be so many cheaters in our hobby.

My buddy and I shot poorly but we had a lot of fun and am very confident we made a whole heckuva lot of people feel better about themselves. :D

Supported Sutlers' Row and bought some ramrods & tips from Tip Curtis as well as a couple of books from Dana Dore. One of them was the Wenches, Wives and Servant Girls book mentioned in Rambling Anecdotes and the other was Lock, Stock and Barrel about repairing oulde gonnes.

Anybody near Phoenix should attend the shoot. If I had period clothes, I would have shot in the primitive match.

kwhi43

It's not so much "cheaters" in our hobby, it's a Challenge to to see what you
can get away with. Tip is a friend of mine, did you see the engraver Smitty?
He sells caps also. He is a personal friend of mine. Tell him Phil says hello. I will
see him at Friendship in June. Have fun.
Smitty and my daughter at Friendship

bcd5c589b0c6cd0650a38e50a0145aa9.jpg

Last edited: