NJ rifle/shotgun permit?

MagicMan

I currently only have a pistol. So I obviously have my FID and pistol permit.

As far as I know, I need to apply for a seperate permit to buy a rifle or shotgun. Is this correct?

4EVERM-14

Your Firearms ID card allows the purchase of long guns. As many as you can afford. It also makes a good second form of ID. It has morphed into a quasi carry permit though that was not it's original intent.
New Jersey doesn't want it's citizens to own firearms so they are making it increasingly difficult for folks to understand the laws they are trying to abide by. That's why after 40 years I finally got smart and moved out.

Dewhitewolf

The FID card is all you need to purchase a rifle or shotgun. It also states "carry" on it, but that is subject to carrying while hunting or going to or from an approved shooting activity (recreational or target shooting). It is NOT a general carry permit.

rem870hunter

you need the FID card and your DL to buy. or atleast your FID and a government issued photo ID. since 9/11 some things were changed. the one thing that sicks in my mind and was proven true recently. was that the name and address of your FID and DL MUST MATCH. my problem is that my DL info is of my present residence,my FID info is from a previous address. and on top of that fiasco they have to make a phone call too.

if i recall right the phone call had nothing to do with security measures after 9/11. just the info having to match. a guy was in dicks sporting goods back in oct. he wanted to buy a BB gun for his son, the counter guy asked for his FID and DL. he had a FID but not a DL. had lost his DL 10 years ago.was told by the counter guy if you don't have a DL well i guess you can't buy a gun.

the FID card allows you to buy,own,posess firearms. carrying firearms means transporting them to and from range,gunshop,hunting area. not walking around with one in your pocket or slung over your shoulder. or just riding around with one or more in your vehicle. the state of NJ is really messed up like that.

Antipasta

MagicMan, as stated, you do not need permits or added paperwork for long guns. You may buy as often as you would like. In addition, you can also purchase rifles and shotguns out of state. I frequent the gun shows in Philly and King of Prussia and have had no problems as long as the gun is legal in NJ.

Sgt.Fathead

If you have a pistol legally in NJ, it means you have a NJ Firearms Purchaser ID card and had a pistol permit form. For each handgun one wishes to purchase in the state of NJ, a separate form is required (normally with a separate background check and letter to your employer asking them if you can be trusted with firearms/handguns...no, I'm not kidding!) and depending on where one lives, one to sic handgun permits may be obtained at one time. One has 90 days to use said handgun purchase permit before it expires or is renewed, at the discretion of the Chief of Police or clerk, for a further 90 days. Depending upon where one lives, unused forms may or may not be required to be returned to the clerk.

For long guns, be they rifle or shotgun, all you need is your valid ID (driver's license) and you NJ Firearms Purchaser ID card. This holds true in states with reciprocity, like PA, OH, IA.

Dewhitewolf

Rem870hunter, if you change addresses, you need to get a new FID card. Just like you have to get a new driver's license if you move.

MagicMan

We don't need to get a new license though. We just contact the DMV & they send out a sticker to put on our license

jkkimberfan

FID in NJ

It is not needed, only adviseable, if you ever got into legal trouble, the FID would play in your favor to the anti gun police and prosecutors. You can move INTO NJ with handguns and you do not have to get an FID or any permit. Only if you want to purchase a handgun in NJ, do you need the FID/pistol purchase permit form.

rem870hunter

sorry for the thread hijack.

having said that dewhitewolf. does that mean i am illegally possesing firearms?

worse case scenario is that if something should happen and the cops or ATF knock on my door and they want to see my cards. they see that the info don't match. would i be arrested?

i was living at my parents when i originally got the FID. that address stayed the same until i moved out. went to the local police department. i got the address changed. didn't buy any firearms after that from a store. then i moved again and as of yet changed the info on my FID. after moving out of mom and dad home, i have been in atlantic county. now in gloucester county ever since moving again. mom and dad live in camden county. 1 purchase was made 2 years ago in a FTF sale. dad was given the money, ownership/possesion was transfered to him . then he filled out a paper transferring it to me. so there is paper trail should something happen. he didn't buy it because i can't own or posses firearms. i can and legally. unless the info must match after i move each time. then i guess i'm in trouble.

hijacking done. sorry again.