Nitride treated Savage action

thesheepdog

Hello,

How many of you have sent off a barreled Savage action to be treated with the melonite/nitride process?

I plan on using MMI Trutec.

thanks.

Picher

I was going to say it would be "like putting lipstick on a pig", but thought better of it and decided it would be better if I didn't. Lots of people here like their Savages and think they're pretty. (I used to own one of the original 110s.) ;)

thesheepdog

Well that may be sir, but renowned firearms manufacturers have been/currently using this process with great results.
Glock
Barrett
Desert Tactical Arms
Larue
Spikes Tactical
Sig Sauer
POF

...just to name a few.

9mmfan

I think his beef is with the rifle, not the finish.

Edited to add: Just pointing it out, not speaking ill of the gun. I have a Savage in .30-06, and I absolutely love it. I don't even hunt yet.

Jimro

To do the job properly the action and barrel will need to be separated during the nitriding process.

Other than corrosion resistance there is no need to do the action. Personally I'd go with a stainless action and nitrided barrel for a nice custom look.

Jimro

Lipstick on a pig? Never thought I would see nitriding referred to as lipstick. Visually speaking Ii think it is one of the worst wearing finishes out there. Look at glocks with holster wear. Even fresh it doesn't look that good. All IMO of course.

It is probably the best utility finish though. I think it would go as well with a Savage as it does with a Glock.

snolden

I would spend the money on glass or ammo/components instead. The beauty of the savage is spray paint is the most effective cheapest rust preventative.

thesheepdog

I had the same feeling about this thread. A lot of people are posting their opinions about something, anna has nothing to do with my original question. My original question was if anyone has treated their barreled action.

Jimro

Only with manganese phosphate on an M98 barreled action.

With nitriding you'll need to dissassemble the action and barrel before hand or you run the risk of creating a chemical bond between them that would be a beast to break.

Don't try to nitride a stainless surface, it doesn't work very well. You would also need to bead blast the current finish off of a stock Savage chrome moly barrel/action to make the nitriding adhere to the steel.

Good luck,
Jimro

m.p.driver

At no time while shooting my FP have i thought of it as a "Pig". What i have thought is that the one hole groups it capable of ,makes it the best rifle for the money.All I've done with mine was dura-coat it,i don't need it to be pretty,i just need it to put one ragged little hole way out there.

Picher

I use either furniture or automobile wax on my guns. I had a chrome-moly barrel on one rifle and never had a hint of rust on it. I've put removable camo paint on my deer rifle, but it came off hard, so I quit that. Camo tape is hard to get off sometimes also.

I just keep my guns in the original finish these days. The deer I shoot don't seem to mind.

Jimro

johnwilliamson062,

I know you CAN nitride stainless, however I don't think it is a good thing for a stainless bore based on results from people who have done it.

Jimro

reynolds357

I bought the rifle used. It is a Savage lightweight hunter. It is blue steel and not stainless. It is the only Savage lightweight hunter I have ever actually handled. I assumed the finish on the action was factory. If not, I do not know who the last owner had do it. I cant swear its nitride, but it looks just like a Glock with the exception of it has an ever so slight bronze clolored tint to the finish.

Jimro,
I see what you are saying about the bore of the rifle. From the little I know about nitriding I agree that the bore might not be the best place for it on a stainless barrel.