Nitride die sets?

Shadow9mm

Was just thinking about this. Many pistol sets use a carbide ring at the base for resizing. I know this is not common with most rifle calibers due to the tapered cases. However my hornady pistol dies use a titanium nitride ring. Got me thinking, even for rifle dies, why are they not fully nitride or titanium nitride coated on the inside. Would this not add longevity, smoothness, and rust prevention to the sizing dies?

ocharry

I would think cost

On the pistol dies its just a small ring and the rest of the die is relieved and steel

Just my thoughts...lol..I could be wrong but I would bet to coat the whole inside of the sizing die would make the set price go up significantly

Ocharry

dahermit

If I remember the seminars, classes I took relative to metallurgy, Titanium Nitride is a ceramic normally used to coat Carbide cutting tools (Gold color). There were/are some solid Titanium Nitride cutting tools, but very expensive. So the answer would appear to be cost.
Addendum: The Titanium Nitride coated Carbide cutting tools/bits were heavy due to the Carbide base whereas the total Titanium Nitride tools were very light in weight.

I suspect that the Hornady "Nitride" sizing rings are only Carbide that is coated with Titanium Nitride.

higgite

I suspect that the Hornady "Nitride" sizing rings are only Carbide that is coated with Titanium Nitride.
You may be right, but since TiN is harder than carbide anyway, I suspect they use cheaper TiN coated steel. They don't mention carbide in their ad for sizing dies with the TiN "gold ring", except to say that TiN is harder.

9MMand223only

Hi Shadow.

My opinion on the reason why TiNitride is not widely adopted. First of all, I own almost every die from every manufacturer for 9 MM and 223. I have the Hornady Titanium Nitride sizing die and its in rotation right now (9MM).

I don't like it. I think the problem with using an advanced process like this, is that its not as easy to make uniform. So the Hornady die leaves shiney nickel cases rough in some spots, versus the RCBS steel one does not. So I think the process is just harder to make "less imperfect" than Steel. This Hornady die leaves the cases rougher than the steel ones, and its supposed, in theory, to do the opposite.

I also have other Hornady die, that has the taper frimp and seating in 1 die, its a long die with 2 adjustments, 2 o-rings. I hate this die. I hate it.

Of the major manufacturers, I find the RCBS dies to be what I like the most, sort of like this subjective ranking

1) RCBS
2) Dillon
3) Forster
4) Redding
5) LEE
10) Hornady

You get the idea.
I just don't think it makes any sense. Why pay more money to manufacture something that is not outperforming Carbon steel, and in my experience, is performing WORSE.

It makes no sense. They use TiN in drill bits, to last longer, and cut harder materials, but in the reloading world, Carbon steel dies last "decades" because this is a very slow operation with "soft" materials. Its not comparable. You don't need it. Added expense for nothing.
All the specs and theory aside, I ran new Nickel through it, it comes out "rougher" than steel. So it loses, clearly, with me. Maybe for others, they got a more uniform die that works better.