nipple wrench for Colt Walker?

maillemaker

Hi,

My little nipple wrench that came with my 1851 Navy revolvers seems too small for the nipples in my Colt Walker repro.

What do you use for a nipple wrench for them?

Thanks,

Steve

Fingers McGee

Universal nipple wrench from the Possible Shop

Universal Nipple Wrench 45-016 $26.95

Unfortunately, they're out of stock right now.

Hawg

I do believe Fingers knows what he's talking about. I have no experience with Walkers or the aforementioned nipple wrench but if Fingers tells you something you can take it to the bank.

robhof

robhof

I'm glad I got mine on Ebay, paid a lot less and it was even a signature series nipple wrench.:D:p

maillemaker

No disrespect intended to Fingers but the wrench he speaks of says:

"Fits 1851 - 1860 - 1858 & 1862 model Cap & Ball Revolvers."

Maybe it also fits the 1847 Walker but it is not advertised as doing so like the Walker wrench on the same page.

Anyway it is out of stock so I bought the Walker wrench. I bought a ratchting musket nipple wrench also. We shall see how it does.

Steve

Fingers McGee

No disrespect intended to Fingers but the wrench he speaks of says:

None taken. I've found only a few revolvers the universal wrench didn't fit. An older Armi San Palo '51 Navy being one. While I haven't tried it on every revolver, it does fit my ASM and Uberti Walkers. I've never tried it on a 2nd Gen or Sig Series Colt.

Doc Hoy

Just take the cylinder out of the frame

Clamp it real tight in a vise. Don't use any padding because you really want the teeth on the vise to grab hold of the cylinder and keep it in place.

Then get some slip joint pliers. Latch onto one nipple and turn as hard as you can until the pliers slips off of the nipple.

On the stubborn nipples a ball peen hammer and a number two flat blade screwdriver used as a chisel will loosen them up.

. . . . . . Just in case you missed it, this entire post is a joke. Don't do anything in it.

Darto

A wrench where the T handle slides from T shape to an L is sometimes handier on some guns.

The TC brand with the built in pick fits my Walker perfect.

Choke tube lube keeps them from seizing.

Doc Hoy

Some of the folks on the forum.....

Have made nipple wrenches from small quarter drive sockets.

I have found that to work pretty well.

I have made wrenches from round stock but it doesn't work as well as sockets because the metal I started with is too soft.

Nice thing about using quarter drive sockets is that you can choose to use a small breaker bar if you need a lot of torque or you can just use a Tee handle or even a screw driver handle. As long as the socket is ground properly it is a pretty good solution.

I keep the nipples in my pistols loose enough that almost any wrench that gets even a little purchase on the nipple will work.

I am kind of a fanatic about loose nipples because I like to take them out of the cylinder every time I clean.

maillemaker

I haven't tried the Walker wrench yet, but I tried the so-called "musket nipple wrench" and I'm not sure whose muskets they are supposed to fit but they don't fit the nipples on my P53, my Richmond Carbine, or my Pedersoli P58. It's to small about .24" across the flats. I'll have to take a file to it to open it up.

Steve

maillemaker

I'm pleased to report that the Pedersoli-made Colt Walker wrench works great on my Uberti Walker.

The "musket wrench" I bought does not fit but a few passes with a file and it will work fine. It is a socket that has had a slot milled in it - the slot just wasn't wide enough. It also came with a little ratchet.

Steve