Nikon scopes

wingman

Need some advice or information what is the difference between the Nikon
Monarch vs. Nikon Buckmaster in terms of quality. Is the Monarch line worth
the extra money.?

JAYBIRD78

I bought a Monarch series and have been really happy. The clarity in my opinion was better than a comparable Leupold. I have bought a few "budget" scopes and have been disappointed in the quality. If you can afford it, I would look at a minimum of $300 for a variable 3-9x40. I have also been very happy with a Bushnell 4200 series scope that I bought new a few years ago.

This is just my experience, do not flame me because my suit is in the wash and you will make me :barf:

Kreyzhorse

I bought a Nikon Monarch last year myself. Walked into Bass Pro ready to plunk down the cash on either a Leupold or Zeiss. After settling on a Zeiss, the sales guy suggested I look at the Monarch. After comparing the Leupold and Zeiss to the Monarch, I walked away with the Monarch. Better clarity in my opinion than either the Leupold or Zeiss.

As far as Buckmaster or Monarch, and while the Buckmaster is a nice scope, a Monarch is certainly worth the extra money to me.

j.chappell

I have long been a Leupold fan, but alas, Leupold are not what they use to be. I dont like the look or feel of the Nikons but as much as I hate to say it they are making a better end product than Leupold within the same price range.

Thats not just my opinion just read some reviews of optics for the past 2 years and you will see it first hand.

Dezynco

I'm becoming a Nikon Monarch fan.....they're a little less money than comparable Leupold's...but I won't talk bad about Leupold. Their service is second to none.

The Monarch line is quite a bit more refined than there entry level scopes and worth the extra money. I would consider a fixed power Monarch rather than a variable powered scope in their entry level scope. You can always find a use for a good 4x later if you ever decide to get a variable.

SavageMOA

I STRONGLY recommend the Nikon buckmaster. I have the 4.5-14x it's the best scope I've ever owned. And that's INCLUDING a leupold. My father got one and took his Leupold off his .300winmag because the Buckmaster was clearer. Leopold's are great, my Buckmaster stands up to recoil, is crystal clear, and has repeatable adjustments (I can use the knobs to adjust for windage and compensate for drop and then turn them back to the original position and be right at my original zero) ALL that for $300.

I really hope you decide to go with the Buckmaster.

Summary:
-A Nikon Buckmaster will do everything a Leopold will do (excluding maybe a $2000 Mark IV) for only $300. Which is CHEAP for such a high quality scope.

in my experience, the monarch scopes i've handled / used have been clearer than the buckmark scopes. of course, ymmv

SavageMOA

I can only attest to the quality of the Buckmaster. Take a look and see for yourself. I just think Nikon is extremely underrated.

skeeter

If you go over to www.swfa.com and get into their chat line you will hear that while the optics of the Nikons are very good the will lose their setting if banged around unlike the Leupold.
I think that is the reason I see A LOT of reconditioned, (new models ), Nikon scopes on the market. Just look at the Natchez catalog. That is my personal experience also. I bough it on the Nikon name having many of their cameras and lens which are great- I just think they do not know how to built a tough scope.

Horseman

Right on the money Skeeter.

You'll notice PILES of Nikon's that are factory refurbed if you look on sites that sell refurbs. The Nikon Monarch is not as good of a scope as the Bushnell Elite 4200 in any way you can measure a scope IMO. And I've lined them up on the bench side by side. The Monarch also had a 50mm while the Elite was a 40mm. Clearer, brighter, and more precise adjustments.

The Monarch's are good scopes though. I just prefer other scopes for the same money right now. And I still compete with a 6.5 x 20 older style Monarch.

Right now for roughly the same money I'd spring for a VX III, Zeiss Conquest, Elite 4200.

winchester243

The Monarch has slightly more clarity than the Buckmaster. The Buckmaster is close to a Leopold VX-II, the Monarch is close to a VX-III (as far as clarity goes). I have 2 Leopolds and 4 Nikons on my guns, I don't have anything bad to say about Leopolds they're good scopes but....once I tried Nikon I haven't gone back because IMO they are a better value.

tINY

The 3-9x40 Buckmaster is a great hunting scope. Yeah, the Monarch is a little better. But for the $189 I paid for the Buckmaster, I don't think I could have done significantly better...

-tINY

thinkingman

I owned the new Buckmaster sidefocus in 6-18.
Shot it on a CZ 17HMR.
The scope was not as clear and bright as I thought it should be.
Sold it and bought a Monarch 5.5-20 and the difference is dramatic.
Monarch closeouts (not re-furbs) when they went to a 4X multiplier were the best deal going.
I bought 2 from SWFA and they are awesome.
Nikon refurbs are basically customer returns that were repaired after the customer gets a new scope.
Leupold fixes the old ones that can be fixed and sends it back to you.

skinewmexico

You could ask which is better, a Schmidt & Bender or a US Optics, and someone will always jump up and parrot Leupold. Nikon has a long history of great optics, and makes great scopes. I'm using a Buckmaster on my F-Class 223, and it is exceptional. Go look thru some Nikons, and 4200s, and Sightron S3s, and you'll be impressed.

Todd1700

("Buy a Leupold instead.")

If you want to pay a lot more for a scope that isn't any better than a Nikon Monarch then yeah, go ahead. I've had a Monarch on my 7mm-08 for 6 years now. As bright and clear as many scopes costing hundreds more and better than many of them. Never had it shift zero on me. Although I of course test fire it before each deer season to recheck it's zero I have not had to resight it in since I originally set it 6 years ago.

sureshots

Get what you pay for in Nikons

Nikons are very good. Like most of the others you get what you pay for. Even the Prostaff series are pretty good. The higher priced series are even better.

Creature

You can't beat the Buckmaster for the money.

The Nikon Buckmaster can take the normal abuse of a vigorous hike in rough terrain. Unless you're regularly tossing your scoped rifle off a cliff, that is.

Its clear enough for any conditions: to say the Monarch is clearer is nit-picking at best. IMO, dollar for dollar, the Buckmaster is by far the better scope.