Nikon Scope 6305 (4 X 32) - good/bad

Wrascal

Well folks, I guess I'm getting old. I didn't want to add a scope to my new toy, but I guess I'll need to if I want to better see my target. Scopes always seemed tacky to me, and I preferred the old cowboy looks/ruggedness of iron sights.

My glasses are part of the problem - the currently fashionable lenses are so small that I need to look over them to sight the thing. I do occasionally wear my hugh safety glasses, but not as often as I should - not for plinking anyways.

ADMISSION, I DON'T KNOW JACK ABOUT SCOPES.

My initial idea, I'd not spend more than half of what the rifle cost (a NIB Marlin 60 @ $112/displayed item on sale); what a surprise I'm finding. OK, now I'm willing to go as high as the rifle; its really not worth more than that to me.

Anyways, it'll be strictly a toy: good weather/daytime - open range - family shooting at paper, 50 - 100 yards. Scope should be simple, small and light-weight. Again, for a .22 rifle.

I looked at several cheap ones ($35-$55/ BSA, Simmons) and I felt they were OK for my use, but then I found the Nikon 6305 (4X32) for about $100. It looked so much better/brighter/clearer that I'd be willing to spend the extra on it (if it'll last).

My concern is: will it last or is it junk. I've heard it before, you get what you pay for. Some (salesmen perhaps) would have me put a $800 scope on this thing. If its gonna shake itself loose and fall apart, I'll get the $50 one.

I want cheap, simple, light and usable. Yes or no on the Nikon please.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/product.php?group=16&product=6305

Last edited:

FirstFreedom

the ProStaff from Nikon, though their economy line, is a good scope which will last, by all accounts. Nikon gives a lifetime warranty, IINM.

That's a good choice for .22 shooting, since that rimfire Prostaff will be set to be parallax-free at 50 yards.

Wrascal

Thats good to hear. Thanks.

Some people have implied that a cheap one wouldn't last (I don't consider $100 cheap). I didn't want to spend that if shooting it was gonna rattle it to pieces.