Nightforce question. Did I get a dud?

AMX

First off, I'm not a big scope guy. I've had a US Night Vision scope that I've never had a problem with, my ACOG TA31F hits where I aim it every time and even the cheap Simmons scope I have on a .22 holds zero. Anyway, on to my problem.

I bought a NF NXS 3.5-15X50 with the LaRue mount for a 20" AR flattop. I cannot get this thing to hold a zero.

When I first got it, I cranked the W/E dials back and forth a few times to make sure every thing was loosend up and then zeroed it at 50 yards. Next I fine tuned it at 200 meters. So far so good. After I returned the target turret adjustments to zero (yes, I backed the screw out first) I fired another group at 200 meters. No hits were on paper.

I rezeroed and adjusted the target turrets again. I was barely on paper this time but it wasn't as bad as my first attempt. I went through the process again but didn't have any more of the ammo with me that I'm using for this rifle (Spanish SB SS109).

I went back to the range the next day and went through the process two more times before I got it to zero. I figure out by using the reticle, not dialing, it was 2 minutes drop to the 300 m gong, 6 minutes to the 400 m and 11 minutes to the 500 m gong.

So now I tried dialing the 2 minutes to hit the 300 m gong but got no hits. I dialed back to zero and shot at the 200 meter gong and also got no hits. I didn't feel like rezeroing and went home.

I could go on and on with this story but the truth is, every time I take this rifle to the range, the ammo I bring to shoot ends up being used to rezero the scope. I had hoped it would eventually settel in but I'm starting to have my doubts.

I built the AR my self, like I do all my AR's (7 AR's and 1 M16) so I know the barrel nut is tight. The screws in the scope/mount are tight with blue locktite. The LaRue is solid as a rock.

Am I doing something wrong or is it the scope? As I said earlier, I don't know a lot about scopes.

goalie

The first thing to look at with a scope doing what you describe is the mounts. Are they tight? Did you locktite?

Make sure everything is equally tensioned and tightened down then zero. Once zero'd, shoot the box to ensure that the scope tracks properly.

FirstFreedom

Yeah, make sure the mount/ring screws are not loosening while shooting. Beyond that, top-end scopes are NOT necessarily immune to breaking, although rare. I have a Trijicon Accupoint that broke after less than 20 rounds on a .45-70; wouldn't hold a zero; sent it back, and to their credit, they fixed it. But highly disappointing...it happens.