Night Site Color Combination's ?

E. BeauBeaux

I would like to use the green for the front sight. Or do I need to reverse my thinking on this. But what is the best color for the rear, yellow, orange or red. I think that's the color choices from Trijicon. Seem's someone [don't remember where] stated the red is not good. Looking for your experienced opinion before spending the buck's.

Jim Watson

Unless they have improved their phosphors, green is the brightest and should be up front. The two-tone sounds like a good idea. The ones I have looked at, yellow is not enough different from the green to tell readily and the red is pretty dim. I would go orange.

But what I actually have is a Sig-Sauer with green and green that gives me no trouble with alignment. My 1911 which goes to low-light matches has green front and black rear and is accurate enough for the ranges involved.

E. BeauBeaux

This will be for the Sig. What I've found in practiceis, it's real dark in the bedroom and if you are not careful you can line up the three green dot's and have the front sight to the left or right of the rear two. It will look natural and correct till you move around a bit. This is my when thing's go bump in the night weapon.

Sastrugi

My crummy Glock 36 has Wilson's with both a different color up front AND the rear dots bing much dimmer. Seem to work quite well.
Used to simply black out the rear dots on Trij. with a felt pen, now just use only a front Trit. dot with all-black rear, FWIW.

Onslaught

I kinda noticed the same thing... What I'm going to try now is the Green front (front should always be green) and orange rear PT sights. I was going to go with Red, but I'm taking Jim Watson's advice on avoiding them. Blue looks cool too, but I'll bet it's even dimmer than red.

Another option is the bar rear, either horizontal or vertical. XSsights is the only company I know of who makes vertical bar rear sights. Still another way to go would be PT's "2-dot bar" rear sight, which kinda looks like *_*. Then, if you DID line it up wrong, it would look like **_* or *_** rather than ***

Check out the many options at:
http://www.ptnightsights.com/color.html

and
http://www.mmcsight.com/products.html

Or the 24/7's at:
http://www.ashleyoutdoors.com/handgun_sights.html

BTW, PT Night Sights (Innovative Weaponry Incorporated) Installs the tritium lamps in the MMC adjustable sights.

E. BeauBeaux

It's looking like green front is the right thing to do, with yellow rear as I've been told they last longer than the other color's offered.

Redneck2

I have...

a 1911 Springfield with Wilson Combat green front and yellow rears. Easy to see in dark or bright and easy to tell misalignment. I'd do it again.

Stock was black Novak's that were impossible to pick up against a black silhouette.

Archer1440

I personally like orange phosphor rear, green front. This causes the front sight to stand out and prevents confusion that could happen if you aren't properly indexed on the weapon, and all dots are the same color.

Yellow rears are good as well but somewhat brighter than orange.

Red and blue are composed of much shorter-lived phosphor materials, and will need replacement more often. The PT blue sights in particular have a reputation for poor lifespan and dim performance based on comments made here and elsewhere.

A reasonable alternative is a green front only.

kobun

I have Trijicon green-green on my G34 and green rear sight on my G26.
Thats right, no tritium on the front sight on my 26. Well, it broke. :rolleyes:

Just playing around in the dark with the gun, it seems like just having tritium even in the rear sights help. I'll try shooting like this in the dark one day...

BTW: Does anyone know of a place I can get Trijicon Glock front sight only for a good price?

Eric Larsen

The various colors may not last as long as green does from any manufacture. The yellows are getting close from PT and Trijicon.
The green is the brightest over all of them and are the best for brightness/longest lasting, still. Orange, blue and red dont last as long. A set of my buddies red Trij. already died and they are still working out the replacements. Some companies wont warranty them nearly as well.

The different colors may help some acquire the sights in a moment of "blurry eyes and waking up" better than the green only.
But IMO, Ive never had a problem with a good set of nights.
I just dont have a problem finding the front sight...its where its supposed to be.
Shoot well

pbarrick

You don't have to have tritium on the front and rear sights. A set of Heinie sights with a plain (non-tritium) rear and tritium front sight works very well and doesn't present a confusing sight picture in dim light conditions.

If you prefer tritium front and rear, take a look at the Ashley 24/7 sights. It's got a dot tritium front and a rear sight with a vertical line outlined in tritium.

Both sighting systems have worked well for me.

Hoss

I have Meps with green up front and orange at the rear on my Glock 30. I plan to do the same for my G27, as I really like this configuration.

Kermit

I prefer the green & green set up myself. The other colors just aren't bright enough (in my experience). Besides, if it's that dark that all you can see are your sights, you can't properly ID your target. In low light situations, I like night sights & a secondary light source.

Blue Duck357

Just tried to intentially mis-align the all green night sites in a totally dark room on my 4006. Gotta really cock my wrist to do it at all and even then it gives nothing like a normal sight picture.

I'd like to worry about it, just can't force myself to do it ;)