Night Sights vs Fiber Optic Sights

Mercenary

I am about to purchase a XDsc 40 for CCW and for $70 more, the gun comes with Trijicon Night Sights. First off, is that a good deal for adding night sights? Secondly, would I be better off to save the $70 and get a set of fiber optic sights? I have seen some that are a fiber optic/night sight combo, I think by TruGlo for about $50. They look like better quality as the Trijicon's look almost like the factory sights. Does one have an advantage over the other?

BfloBill

Never used them on a defensive handgun before, but when I used fiber-optic sights hunting there were times during the day when I found them too bright. I know several people with Trijicon Night Sights and they are happy with them. I hope someone with fiber-optics on his carry gun chimes in with an opinion.

AZAK

The problem, in the long run, with night sights is that they fade.

I have had a few CCWs with night sights that have faded to the point that it has to be really, really dark to make them out. You can have them replaced; however, this can set you back a handful of greenbacks and the inconvenience of having them replaced, and then the timer starts up once again.

I do have one pistol with a front FO and it has become one of my favorites; even in low light the FO is visible. In my opinion more user friendly than a triple night light set up.

I have been considering get another, or two, CCW pistols outfitted the same way; front FO with black rear sight.

The way that I look at it, if there is not enough light to make a FO glow, I probably can't reliably make out a target under those lighting conditions and should not be randomly sending lead out.

Now the "dark alley" scenario, pretty much up close point shooting anyways...

YMMV

lmccrock

The competition guns have fiber front and plain notch rear. The house gun has tritium front and rear, about 7 years ago, so the glow is dimming. A trip to the local gunshow would get me new sights for about $100. Yes, the tritium is nice to have in low light/dark situations. I do not have to LOOK FOR the sights, they are there.

Lee

AK103K

Id take the night sights over fiber optic sights hands down. They are a 24/7 sight that dont rely on an outside light source to work, and they are usually much more robust than the fiber optics, which have been somewhat fragile in my experience.

Most of the night sights are warranted for 10-12 years, and you usually get a usable life of about that. That ends up being about $6-7 a year, so I dont think it will break you.

Even beyond that point, they are still usually bright enough to be usable, and there even seems to be a ready market for them. Ive sold "old" (out of warranty) sets of night sights Ive replaced with new, for about half of what I paid for the new set on EBay. The money recovered from those sights in effect paid for my sight tools.

wogpotter

I guess the question would be are you planning on shooting at night?
If you are then the night sights will be visible at night where the others won't.
If you aren't then I like fiber-optics sights because they show up so much better in daylight than either black or night sights.
I have red/green fiber-optics on my pistol & have found them very well suited to my use. Too bright? I don't know how bright too bright is.:cool:

Mercenary

I am leaning more towards getting the TruGlo TFO sights that double as night sights and fiber optic. They are fiber optic with a tritium vial. Anyone have experience with these?

Doc Intrepid

I do not have experience with the Hybrid sights you describe, however, I have some experience with both tritium sights (Trijicon and Novak) and fiber optic sights more generally.

Be very careful with fiber optic sights. In my experience, they are more fragile than commonly recognized.

I've had Trijicon sights on .45s and a Desert Eagle, and they've worked exceedingly well. As noted, they fade over time, however, they will often last between 8 and 10 years (my experience over the past 20+ years). It is not difficult to replace the tritium vials, but requires you send the slide back to the company. (I have had a tritium vial self-eject out of a front sight, but the company sent another one right away, and there were no further issues.)

The Novak fiber optic sights currently on my Colt Commander have broken the fiber optic rods on two occasions while firing factory Lawman .45 ACP loads. (I'm assuming similar behavior could occur with any loads of similar pressure.) You can replace them easily with new rods, etc. and its not a big issue - but the bottom line is that heavy .45 loads can break the rods. You can bet this will not happen at a convenient time.

I like the fiber optic sights, they are reasonably bright at night given streetlights and the ambient light of a downtown city environment, but in the absence of ambient light you have no night sights (or any sights at all for that matter).

So, much depends on your environment as to whether fiber-optic sights will provide any benefit for you AT NIGHT. During the day they are bright, in fact, easier to pick up in some cases than the tritium sights. But at night, how effective they are will depend on your ambient light level.

The hybrid sights may solve the problem entirely, just be sure they are fairly rugged and robust, or you will be replacing rods if you shoot a lot of heavy factory loads.

Hoosier_Daddy

I have the Trijicons on my XDm and the Novak Fiber Optic on my M&P. The fiber optic works most of the time. The Trijicons work all of the time, well at least for the next 12 years I am told, then they will need to be replaced.

I prefer the Trijicons right now over the fiber optic.

I do not have any experience at all about TruGlo TFO.

tex45acp

I installed the TRUGLO TFO's on my XD45. They are the best of both worlds. I just wish they had them available for all my guns!!! I have had just about every brand/style on my guns and the Tritium Fiber Optic's from TRUGLO are head and shoulders above the rest.

kingkeoni

Tritium night sights are the way to go.

FBI statistics show that 80% of all shootings take place at night.

As far as them fading??
They have 12 year half lives.
If you can't afford 100 bucks every 10 years to buy new night sights to save your life then you shouldn't own a gun.
That's 10 bucks a year. Cheaper than 1 box of ammo.

Nnobby45

I have the Truglo TFOs on my XD, love them.

I liked the FO sights, also. Had Novak install them on my Commander. One of the rears disintegrated half way thru it's first shooting session. Under 50 rds. The other rear disintegrated on the next shooting session. Didn't wait around for the front sight to disintegrate, so I called Novak and they said send back the slide.

To Novak's credit, they installed a set of standard sights, with tritium-- NC.

I have Tru Glo's on a G22 and a P245. They gather light great and really stand out. But you won't see me carrying either with those sights.

orionengnr

I have the TruGlo TFOs on a 3" alloy framed 1911...should experience more recoil than a 5" steel 1911.
My TFOs are still going strong two years later. I believe they are a very good compromise.

If you like the Trijicons, something else to think about is that Trijicon will replace the vials for $18/each. That is $54 for all three, and you don't need to pay for a new set of sights or installation of a new set of sights (although you do need to pay for shipping the slide). I just did it with one of my 1911s, and I was very satisfied with the CS and the turnaround time.

In summary, I have both Trijicons and TruGlos, and like them both.
I also have a set of aftermarket fiber optic sights on an S&W revolver, and the fiber optic disappeared. I contacted the manufacturer, and they sent me a new insert. That one is hanging in there so far...

HK Jake

If you plan on carrying it at night, it makes perfect sense to have night sights. Being able to see your sights is very important!! :cool:

sigxder

The fiber optics tube type sight can't be beat as long as their is decent light.
But unless you buy the combo sights once light is all gone so is the advantage of the fiber optics sight. Plus the tube are easy to break. Nightsights with good white outlines are a better combination for me. Except on a range gun where the fiber optics (no pun intended) would really shine.

coulter6

Depends on what you're going to use the pistol for.
Competition - fiber optics
Defense - night sights

Fiber sights aren't really good at night and they break pretty easily. So for defense they're not high on my list.

jmr40

For playing games at the range---Fiber optics are OK

For self defense----Night sights should be required. They don't take the place of a good light, but are just one more tool give you an edge. Yes they do wear out and must be replaced, but you should get 8-12 years out of a set. About $10/year. Cheap insurance im my opinion.