Night Sights on a Witness?

brianidaho

I have a .40 Witness that I'd like to have night sights on. One issue is that the front sight is integral with the slide. Has anyone fitted night sights to one of these? Can the existing front sight body be drilled for a insert, or do I have to have the slide machined for a dovetail to utilize a common sight? Meprolights or Trijicons? How much should I plan to spend.

Kinda open ended here, any input is appreciated.

Brian

BigMike

Brian,

I had the same questions for my .45. I contacted Novak and Trijicon. Both stated that they don't make a sight for Witness, but they could custon fit one to the slide. It'll cost you between $150-200, more for the Novak if you get the tritium inserts. Both responses to my email were cordial and willing to work with me. I haven't sent mine in yet as I don't have permission from the Mrs to spend that kind of money...yet ;) and X-Mas is coming up!

http://www.trijicon-inc.com
http://www.novaksights.com

brianidaho

Thanks for the input BigMike. It's a little tough to swallow putting $200 worth of sights on a $300 gun, but still sounds like a good investment. I really like this little sucker. If I remember you were going to make some custom hardwood grips for yours, how's that project coming? I hope to hide out in the basement this winter and make some for mine. Hunting season's just about over, will be able to spend more time at home.

Bri

BigMike

Brian,

Yes, I'm still in the process of making them. I have them cut out and have fit them to the frame. I actually got one grip completed but accidently took off too much wood within the backstrap interior which screwed up the fit. So I started from scratch and this time sut out blanks along the same grain. So far they are looking good, but the past 2 weeks in my schedule haven't allowed me to work on them. I do plan on tackling them tomorrow as Turkey day is over and I can finally relax. I have taken pictures of them as they evolve from wood blank to rough grip shape. When I start sanding I will take picks of them again, and again when I am finished. I'll post the pics here on TFL when I'm finally done.

I ordered my cocobolo wood from http://www.woodnshop.com for a total of @$32(including shipping). They have more exotic hardwoods than I have ever seen. I ordered 3/8 inch(don't get it any thinner than that!), 1 square foot. It arrived in a plank that was about 6 inches wide/24 inches long. With that amount of wood, I could make several grips. When I am done with my Witness, I plan on making some for my Beretta Brig.

I agree that $200+ is steep for sights but they would have to be custom fit to the slide. The more I shoot my Witness the more I like it.

Mike

VictorLouis

Thanks guys, for posting this question. I figured that Wilson's would be willing to tackle the job. Their Tactical
Combat sights would be the way to go. I will check with Az. Response Systems also, to see if he may be more competitive. I can only assume that there are NO aftermarket grips for it, which is why you're trying to do your own? I will be very interested to see the final result.

brianidaho

VictorLouis, EAA (Witness distributor here in the states) carries walnut grips, supposedly for all the Witnesses, at least according to their catalog. Hogue sells some really nice grips, in a range of hardwoods, for the CZ 75. They should fit the regular-frame 9mm and .40. The .45 and 10mm, as well as the compacts are different frames; as far as I know the standard grips won't fit. The main reason for making them is just to have a chance to play in the shop :).

Considering that most of the Melprolight or Trijicon sight sets seem to be going for about $100, with the machine work inculuded $200 is probably reasonable. I really like the looks of the Novak's, would be nice to get rid of that big, sharp rear sight.

Bri