Night Guard for open carry (just dreaming)

Carlo

Hello, I was thinking of what would be my ideal carry gun, if I was a LEO or Security Guard and I had to carry openly.
In my mind, I pictured a .357 mag. 4" with an high capacity and a weight around a couple of pounds.
I know I probably promised not to do image editing anymore, but...
nightguard4pollici3.jpg

aarondhgraham

This is very close,,,
S&W M&P 360
163077_01_md.jpg

At just 14.7 ounces this would be painful wit .357 rounds,,,
I do like the service sights and the 3" barrel,,,
If I were gonna buy a new carry revolver,,,
This lady would be my newest date,,,
She's real purty!

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
At just 14.7 ounces this would be painful wit .357 rounds

No, it's not. Full house .357 magnum rounds are noticeable in J frames, but not painful even for this old man with arthritis. Shoot five boxes' worth? No, but the recoil isn't in the same class as the recoil you'll experience shooting .44 magnum rounds in full-sized large revolvers.

aarondhgraham

Hello Standing Wolf,,,

You must have hands of steel my friend,,,

Last week I took a young lady to the range,,,
Her father had given her a Model 60 as a graduation gift.

We shot several different cartridges with it,,,
.38 Specials were nothing at all,,,
.38 Special +P were a bit more but not bad,,,
.357 Magnum in a 158 grain soft nose kinda stung a bit,,,
.357 Magnum in 125 grain hollow point flat out hurt like crazy.

Reminded me of getting my hand smacked with a ruler in 3rd grade,,,
I remember that gray-haired old witch, Mrs Sandgray,,,
Evil personified she was,,,
But I digress.

That was with a relatively heavy stainless steel revolver,,,
I'm not sure I want to experience those 125 grains in an Airweight. :eek:

We are going to get her some Hogue or Pachmayer grips,,,
That should make the 158 grain loads palatable for her.

Someday I'll meet someone with an Airweight .357,,,
I'll give it a try so I can speak from experience,,,
But if the truth be told I'm in no big hurry. ;)

Later my friend,,,

dreamweaver

I pictured a .357 mag. 4" with an high capacity and a weight around a couple of pounds.

i like your revolver, but as long as we're imagining.......
how about a version of your gun that fires from the 6 o'clock position on the cylinder (better balance, less perceived recoil....) the top end of the gun would taper down to the muzzle end and contain the built in laser sight. and a gps targeting system. oh, and lets make it in 454.:D

Carlo

Oh, I see that S&W alreay makes a longer barrel 8 shot .357 around a couple of pounds (thanks TheGoldenState for showing it). I still like the idea of a 4" Night Guard, though, because of the sights.

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
Hello Standing Wolf,,,
You must have hands of steel my friend

Actually, I don't, and if you could see how skinny my wrists are, you'd laugh your ankles off. I took my cues from old bullseye shooters years ago:

1. Buy a pair of rubber grips that look like they ought to absorb recoil. They're cheap, and they'll enable you to appreciate honest wooden stocks that let you deal with recoil in a straightforward, manly manner instead of trying to hide from it. There are people who'll tell you recoil is the exact opposite of marriage, but I've been divorced so long, I practically can't remember her name.
  2. Buy honest wooden stocks to fit your hand. This is a trial and error process. The trials and errors happen at the range, not in a gun shop. Some trials and errors happen in wedding chapels, and some happen in gun shops. You can sometimes sell a gun and break even. I believe that's about enough on that topic.
  3. Pick up your gun in one hand, and hold it that way. If your grandmother wants to hang onto it with both hands, that's her business. There's a reason she does quite a little bit better in biscuit competitions than bullseye matches, but I'll let her do her own bragging.
  4. Grip it so tightly the barrel starts to shake. Now, back off a little. No, not that much, but just a little. Yeah, like that. After you've practiced doing that 35,283 times while dry-shooting your gun every night for six months, you won't think about it any more: you'll just do it perfectly every time. Mysteriously, guns won't still hurt your hand.
  5. Lock your wrist, and keep it locked. Unlock your elbow, and keep it unlocked. Keep your chin up and both eyes open. Hook your non-dominant hand to your belt, or at least, stuff it in a pocket: we're bilaterally symmetric. Yes, I did hear "bilaterally symmetric" from an old geezer who'd finished the eighth grade about 60 years earlier. He waited to see whether I knew what it meant. I figured it out: most long words in English have Latin or Greek roots. He figured I was too smart for my own good, but showed me what he knew, anyway.
  6. Line up your sights.
  7. Take most of a pretty good breath. Let a third out. Hold what's left. If what's left starts feeling hard to hold, you've been holding it too long, and will only put your shot out in the white.
  8. Think almost aloud, "X ring. X ring. X ring. X ring. X ring." Don't think it aloud, or non-bullseye shooters will think you're nuts. If you're not at least a little nuts, bullseye shooters will nod and smile and say hello, but will talk about you behind your back rather than to your face. Don't think about keeping your shot on the target, because the whole target isn't the X ring. Think about... (ready for this?) the X ring.
  9. Every shot is an opportunity to practice trigger control. If you practice the exact right thing, practice makes perfect; if you practice whatever all else, practice makes it harder to overcome bad habits when you're ready to start trying for accuracy.
  10. The easy way to follow through: pretend you're shooting a machine pistol, and there are lots more shots to be kept on target after the first.
  11. When you finally put one in the X ring, don't yell and hop up and down and pat yourself on the back. Just say, “Well, I'll be darned! I guess those old geezer bullseye shooters might've known what they were talking about, after all." Some do and some don't, actually, but they all look about alike after enough years.

Last edited:

Bullseye Smith

A set of the X frame good years will make the night guard a little easier to shoot. The X frame uses the same grip as the "L" frame does.

Carlo

I like your idea Bullseye Smith, if I find a picture of an N frame, net to a K frame, I can combine parts and fit an 8 shots wheel into the gun's image. Not the real gun, but that would look like it.