Nickle Plated Weatherby?

ZeroJunk

Did Weatherby not make a nickle plated version of the MarkV at one time instead of stainless or am I remembering things?If they did,what happened to it?

BUSTER51

I do belive they did,I remember seeing one in 300 Weatherby mag at Rays sporting good on rt 22 in New Jersey in 1974 I wanted to buy it but my first wife(Cheryl) had other idea's. it stood out from the pack and called my name softly saying buy me buy me buy me .if I knew then what I know now I would told her to go F*** herself and bought it right off the bat.I believe it was taged $549.99 and that was a lot of money back then .she made me sell my lemon twist 1970 Plymoth Cuda 440 six pack with a 4 speed and a 4.11 dana 60 to buy a new 1973 VW bug because it got better gas mileage.the bug cost $2300.00 out the door .there has to be a special place for exwifes in hell .:rolleyes:

ZeroJunk

What's the Cuda worth now.Twenty or thirty grand restored.Boy,if we new then....Anyhow,I considered one it seems because I was thinking that it would be smoother than stainless.May find one on Gunbroker or something if I new what they called it.

gordo b.

Buster you and I must have be married to the same B...h ! I was working for the Gubbamint in DC and Newark during that dark year! I remember Ray's! You didnt live around Freehold did you? The Jersey gun laws were just turning to poop around then BTW !:mad:
More to the point : I collect Weatherby's. I have a German .224 Varmint Master, a German MK V .300 , a Jap .257 , an old South Gate FN Mauser .375 Weatherbyy, and a Schultz and Larsen South Gate .378. I was friends with Joe Dutra (before his passing he made me a few specials, and I bought some of my Olde Weatherby's from him) who was Roy Weatherbies shop foremanfor years. I really don't remember a nickle plated one. Electro less Nickle was develop for fire arms by Colt in 73 , but nobody else used it for a few years.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I used to look through the Weatherby catalogs pretty regularly, but I don't recall mention of nickel plating. I'd most likely have tried to forget, though. That plating always seemed gaudy to me. :)

I wound up in 1971-ish with a Mark V. #2 profile, 26" barrel, in .30-'06. German made. The trigger never seemed righteous, so I put a Canjar on it. Had to float and shim the barrel to get good groups, but it still gives me 3/4 to 1 MOA. Ol' Pet has been with me for many a mile in really rough country...

Art

quack fiend

I had a factory electroless nickel-plated .300 wby. It had a black synthetic stock, and was called the mark V "alaskan", around 1990 maybe. It was replaced rather quickly with the mk. V stainless.

BUSTER51

Gordo b, I lived in Parsipany/lake Hiawatha .maybe the one at rays was used but it sure was a Weatherby and it sure was nickel,it had a very nice wood stock and was the first rifle i had ever seen that was nickel plated matt finish .someone could have had it plated and sold it or traded it ,it looked brand new not a nick or scratch anywhere .damn I sure wish it was 1974 again .Jersey had some lame gun laws ,but the pizza was good .:D

ZeroJunk

Thanks for the info.I thought they had made one and was curious if there was a noticeable difference in how smooth the action was compared to stainless .Market obviously decided against it.

quack fiend

The Alaskan was very smooth, moreso than the stainless. It also rusted very easily, just as quickly as a blued gun, and i found out the hard way.