Nickle-Plated Sissy Pistol/Does Color Matter to You?

bj426

OK.... I've been noticing a trend in the guns I've been buying.... there isn't anything shiny or flashy..... not super tactical, but nothing that would call attention by a flashlight in the dark. This is not to say that I don't love the look of a shiny 1911 or stainless barrels on rifles. It's just that some subconsious thing has been causing a trend....

SO..... this is my question: When you look at your collection are you into chrome, black/blued, mixed breeds, wood, synthetic, etc. noticably more than others? If so... is this intentional and if you realized you didn't have something of a certain genre would you consider something that you wouldn't normally just to fill the void?

ACP230

I like stainless or electroless nickel handguns and have several. The last revolver I bought was blued, however. I am considering two revolvers right now one blued and one stainless. I am leaning toward the stainless one, it is newer and has custom grips.

Basically I'll buy whatever takes my fancy at the time when money and a desire to buy guns momentarily intersect.

Borf

Hadn't really thought about it recently, but every gun I own is blued and wood. Long guns and short, with the exception of the black plastic grips on my Ruger MkII... The deeper the blue and the nicer the wood the happier I am :)

KSFreeman

Form follows function. [Putting on white pimp hat with purple feather] But I dos knows how to put on the dog, my man.

croyance

More than half my guns are black/blue. Mostly my earliest guns. When I noticed this, I started buying a couple of two-tones to liven up the set. Also some guns are more easily available in two-tone.
When I get aftermarket grips, they tend to be wood. I like to match them to the look of the gun. Even if it is only concealed carry, I like an attractive gun.

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
I've always preferred Colt royal blue to all other finishes on firearms.

I positively loathed the look of stainless steel when I saw my first Smith & Wesson 629 shortly after its release, but bought one about five years ago, sent it to Magnaport for porting and bead blasting, and now like it rather well.

I have a nickel-plated Detective Special I've never liked the looks of, but must concede it's quick and easy to clean, and seems to require less maintenance than a blued revolver. I still prefer blue, but once I've left the People's Republic of California, I'm going to consider a shiny stainless steel Volquartsen .22 pistol, and maybe a stainless Kimber if the company's making a target model in .38 super.

All that said™, nothing pleases my eye like Colt royal blue.

Monkeyleg

All of my "serious" guns are anodized or parkerized. My target gun is very pretty, stainless and bead-blasted. My "no shoot just fondle" gun is nickle.

Only 1 nickel plated revolver & one bright polished stainless (looks nickel) in the group. Some dull stainless and a lot of blue.

Don Gwinn

Staff Emeritus
I was taught by my dear old dad that guns are not silver. I laughed at him, but I don't own any "silver" guns now. [shrug] I have nothing against stainless guns, but there's only so much money to be spent.

Russ

I prefer stainless or nickel in pistols and I like blue in rifles. I do however have some blue pistols and I like them alot. A good shiney blue is great. I kills me when it wears so that's why I like the stainless & nickel. I have an 1855 Colt Root revolver in nickel. Still about 95%. I know the finish will last.

Bogie

Heck, folks - I shoot benchrest. I've seen so many "differently" painted guns that my eyes occasionally just start bleeding on their own...

Saw a pair (LV and HV) of pink metalflake rifles last week.

Then there's the folks who have their aluminum stuff anodized - I think that the bright purple railguns rock...

Gewehr98

So I shouldn't send in my Desert Eagle?

Getting fond of that gold titanium color, and the bluing is kinda scuffed on the old bird...:D

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Blued or parkerized is preferred, but I'll take nickel if it's matte or stainless if it's bead-blasted.

Radicalcleric

I like the shiny guns. No nickeled semi-autos (yet) but numerous Colt and and S&W revolvers (New Service, two Police Positive Specials, Python, SAA, M27, M19, M13, M15).

On my 1911s I like the look of ivory grips. Have two with real ones and two with sets of fake ivory.

Don't like stainless. Know it's practical, and all, but hate the look.