Nickle plated 223 worth reloading?

Midwest Matt

New to the reloading gig. I have some nickle plated 223, is it worth reloading?

Is once fired nickle more valuable then brass? Thinking about trying to trade if it's worth it.

rn22723

Nickle plated brass is not more valuable then regular brass. The problem long term with nickel plated brass is that the plating can come off the case. This could imbed in the die wall, and thus scratch subsequent cases. Perhaps ruining your diel Nickel plating resists corrosion better then brass. Some will say the plating makes the brass more brittle and thus fails faster then regular brass.

Loader9

At my place, nickle 223 brass goes in the garbage. You'll find it to be brittle and split necks are common. You may also have sizing issues if it has been shot in a rifle with a generous chamber. I don't fool with it- it's not even worth it to make it into one way brass where you know it isn't coming back.

give me a holler if you are going to get rid of that brass. I am a low volume .223 shooter and would load it one time. Thanks ,,, 10 SPOT ( That goes for you other guys too )

Loader9

Yer about 12 hours late from getting about 110-125 rounds of Remington Nickle 223. Probably 60% had never been loaded or primed. The rest was once fired. It now resides in the local land fill. I'll try to remember the name next time I get some in- I won't fool with it. Need any other calibers. I'll look see what I got if you load something else. You don't load any 300 H&H by chance. I've got a couple of bags of it in unfired Remington...I think, that I would like to trade into something else.

Shoney

I have been loading large numbers of nickel plated rifle and pistol cases since the mid 70's. I have yet to see them ruin a die.

It is true that the case life of nickel plated is a lot less than regular brass as the necks are prone to split early on. Nickel plated pistol has a slightly better life than most bottleneck rifle, but it is still short.

I find it advantageous to load all my hunting and PD rounds in nickel plated. It feeds much easier and does not tarnish under adverse conditions.

glazerguy333

brass

I am with you on reloading nickel i use it all for hunting it dose feed easyer as well as dose not get icky for the eliments let me know what cal. you have we sure can do a trade for what you need thanks

Sam06

Go with the Brass. Nickle will scratch the bullets and is harder than brass. Its not going to tear anything up but Brass is better.