Nickel Rock Island GI M1911-A1FS

Sarge

Sorting out the Rock Island

I came up with a new Rock Island GI in bright nickel. The sumbuck just about defies cell phone photography so I've added a slightly better pic:

RIA_2.jpg

When I was a kid, you'd occasionally see USGI surplus .45's that had been handed off to cousin Larry who worked at Acme Chrome Plating. Larry would sneak it into work, throw it in the prep vats and run it through with the next batch of 58 Edsel stuff that went through. Eventually they'd find their way into gunshops where kids like me would slobber all over the display case until somebody ran us off. I think I am genetically predisposed toward redheads with big hair and nickel plated handguns.

Got a box of 'Precision Cartridge' 45 ACP with the gun and ran a couple of mags through it this afternoon. Or tried to. Bang, choke, banga-banga-choke-choke. Lotsa fail-to-return-to-battery and the extractor tension was obviously way tight, because the usual push on the slide wouldn't budge it. It was cold, windy and I was PO'ed. 20 yard group reflects that but is at least decent enough to tell it shoots a tad right.

RIAtgt_1.jpg

Or not... Speaking of sights, the goofball who polished it thoughtfully turned the front sight into something resembling those mirrored-ball ornaments you see on pedestals in little old ladies' yards. The one who assembled it must have been mad at his wife because when I tore it down, the extractor was so tight in its tunnel I that I had to drive it out with an old aluminum cleaning rod. I think what happened here is that they didn't account for surface build-up from the plating on both parts, so instead of buffing the extractor shank, dingaling just drove it in with his little leather hammer.

So I pulled it, worked the shank down on a 400 grit diamond stone, reset the tension, pulled the firing pin and reassembled the gun. Ball and 230 Golden Saber hand-cycled OK and were downright slick when fed from a decent magazine. The RIA factory 'ACT' (up) mag does not impress as it tends to present the round low into the feedramp.

More to come on this one. A once over with the micrometers revealed that the pistol some good qualities which I'll desribe later. It is decidedly un-tactical and I like it. I'm gonna make a good solid 1911 out of it; I didn't think it will require much work.

I mentioned this gun’s propensity to fail to return fully into battery, and that the usual ‘forward assist’ push on the slide wouldn't rectify it. Even with a clean gun, it was evident in hand cycling ball rounds. I originally attributed this to excessive extractor tension. In this I was correct, but that wasn’t the entire problem.

I also noted that the chamber dimensions were tight, but even a tight-chambered 1911 will usually run for 100 rounds or so before it gets sluggish. My old ’45 Ithaca had a tight-chambered, 7-digit stainless National Match barrel, yet in four days I burned over 700 rounds of 200 LSWC reloads through it at NRA LE Instructor School (Topeka, 1991) in near 100 degree temps, with no malfs at all. That particular gun had the full AMTU treatment at some point in its life. I did a similar rebuild on a Colt Combat Commander in the late 70’s; fitted Bar-Sto barrel, tightened rails, the works. This was back when I still had eagle-eyes and that gun produced more than a few 5-shot, 2 ½”50 yard rested groups. It ran great, too. So I know that ‘tight’ guns can be reliable.

Something else was going on here and in an effort to identify ‘what’, I dug out an old Auto Ordnance barrel I’ve had laying around for years. It ran like a top, but had chatter marks in the rifling so I’ve never used it for serious shooting. Take a look at the front of the chambers on both barrels. The Rock Island barrel is on the right:

AO_RIAchambers.jpg

Frankly, I think A/O did a much better job with their ‘wadcutter throat’; but I digress. A closer look at the Rock Island chamber, here:

RIA_N_chamber.jpg

Some things became apparent when I took a close look and started taking measurements. There is next to NO leade into the rifling, which is bad ju-ju for the wadcutter loads I shoot by the bucket-fulls. I grabbed a few oddball rounds which include Winchester USA, Winchester SXT Federal FMJ and Wolf FMJ, all of which are 230 grain. I also added my 200 LSWC reload (1.250” OAL) and a reload using a 255 grain semi-wadcutter intended for the .45 Colt. The latter is loaded to 1.175” and all these loads have proven reliable in various 1911’s I’ve had.

I began by measuring the length of the barrel, including the hood. I then dropped each of aforementioned rounds lightly into the chamber, and measured the barrel again. A properly-cut chamber will admit in-spec .45 ACP ammo dropped into it and the case head will be flush with or at most, 2-3 thousandths below the hood. This barrel is short-chambered and various loads protruded 15 to 30 thousandths ABOVE the hood.

The final confirmation of this materialized when pushing the ‘high’ rounds on into the chamber, flush who the hood. Resistance was felt as they seated and it was necessary to pluck them from the barrel. This was particularly apparent with the 200 grain LSWC load and the leading shoulder of the bullet showed bright marks where in encountered the sharp edge of the chamber. These loads in particular have proved wonderfully reliable in other 1911’s I’ve owned.

This is a shame, folks. The factory Rock Island barrel is excellent in all other respects. I mikes a proper and perfectly-round 0.580” at the muzzle, reduces to 0.575” about a half-inch back; essentially ‘match’ barrel external dimensions. Excepting the wadcutter throat, the finish, lugs rifling etc. are excellent. I suspect it will shoot like a house afire, certainly within my 4” @ 50 yards requirement for carry guns.

So what to do? First, I have the old Auto Ord barrel plugged into the gun; so I’m not stuck with a pistol I can’t shoot. Second, the gun was sold through Davidsons and I’m told it can be exchanged through them without problems. Finally, Rock Island’s customer service is said to be good and I could probably return the gun to them for correction.

I’m choosing ‘none of the above’. I don’t buy guns to ship them all over the country. I’ll begin by contacting Rock Island and opening negotiations for a barrel exchange. We’ll see where it goes from there.

Lordy, I should open a lemonade stand. I certainly have a gift for finding raw material for one.

farmer-dave

Their is a rock island section at 1911forum.com, that a factory smith checks often. I generally heard nothing but good things about customer service. I have a match rockisland that shoot's wonderfully, hope you get your issues resolved.

Sarge

That's good to hear, Dave. I've got a thread running over there as well.

I think RI's are generally pretty good 1911's. I just happened to get one with a sorry barrel and that is by no means brand specific. I've had them on Springfield and Auto Ordnance 1911's as well.

I must add that I've never gotten a bad barrel on a Colt; but of course we're not paying Colt money for the others, either. We should be able to expect any of them to work, have decent barrels.

Last edited:

Sarge

Just FWIW I shot three 8 round CMC mags of Federal ball through the Rock awhile ago, with the Auto Ordnance barrel installed. It is the first three magazines the pistol has cycled without failing to feed. At 50 yards they were all over an Osama target, but at least they were feeding and firing. I feel pretty confident that the bad chamber in the OEM barrel was 95% of its problems.

Sarge

Update: I contacted RIA's service department yesterday, explained the problem, and they were polite and anxious to resolve the matter. Also emailed an explanation with pics. A barrel exchange or reaming is in the works & the boo-boo barrel went out in today's mail. I'll let you know how it sorts out.

Sarge

With the oddball Auto Ordnance barrel plugged into it, the Rock Island 1911 doesn't seem capable of a jam. It don't shoot all that great, maybe 4-5" at 25 yards; it's 0.577" muzzle is a poor match for the Rock's 0.583" bushing and it's upper lugs are not particularly well-executed. But it's allowed this pistol to chug through about 8 magazines of various .45 ammo without missing a lick.

I had my wife run a couple of mags through, it while I watched the ejection pattern. This wasn't much work because Peggi likes to shoot 1911's. The pistol was dropping empties in a two foot circle about six feet behind her and a bit to her right. I also caught this pic of the gun in full recoil, with a casing about 16" out of the ejection port.

RIA_6.jpg

I will be real glad to get my reamed OEM barrel, or a replacement, back in this pistol. I'm anxious to get it zeroed and start shooting some groups with it.

ltc444

hope everything turns out ok. Concure with you about red heads. Think shiny pistols are for New Orleans social business men.

Sarge

I finally got a chance to shoot the nickel Rock Island 1911 today, with the barrel that RIA reamed and throated for me. This was going to be a short session so I took the three mags, loaded with Tula 230 ball, which have been living in or near the gun. Two are CMC Powermags and the other is the factory ACT mag.

The first few shots were at random junk around the log pile, to confirm that a useful zero was present. At that point I stapled up ol’ Ragtop, moved back to 50 yards and fired seven aimed shots at his noggin. Shooting was done seated in a folding canvas chair, rested over one knee.

RIA_7at50.jpg

Not unhappy with that! Did a little more plinking and then hung a Coke can up and walked to the 25 yard stake. Five rounds, two-hand unsupported… the big hole in the middle is two rounds, though I did manage to miss it once.

RIA_5at25can.jpg

This pistol is shooting pretty well and I haven’t even started accurizing it yet. It’ll get a set of sights, although the nickel OEM are usable against 3D targets and those with dark backgrounds. This is really no loss, as the OEM’s print a little low. It’ll also get a 0.200” stainless slide stop and most likely, a 0.581” stainless match bushing. Add a trigger with an over-travel stop and you have a very shootable 1911A1.

Rock Island’s barrel is obviously accurate enough for my purposes. Function was 100% today and while 3 magazines are no test, the gun sure cycles slick now. I am really pleased with this pistol.