Nickel Colt Dectective Special...?

murphjup

A Buddy has a Nickel Colt Detective Special he want sell to me...
S/N 229xxR..

Can anyone give me approximate Year of Manufacture?

Everyone says they are worth alot these days, but from what I can tell they are selling in the $450-500 range, with of course a few higher ones...

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

:)

porkskin

strange, my colt cobra can't be dated off that list. serial #ac****. all cobras start with an "a" but no mention of a second letter

Laserlips

FWIW:

I had my DS for sale recently at $550 and had a serious bite on it, but my Son saw I had advertised it for sale and asked me to keep it for him, so I had to decline the offer to purchase, but I should think if the DS you are considering is in good condition the price is not out of line.

I certainly wouldn't sell my DS for less than $500-550.(If I were trying to sell it).

100_5058.jpg

Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy

clayking

strange, my colt cobra can't be dated off that list. serial #ac****. all cobras start with an "a" but no mention of a second letter

It seems that proofhouse stops at 1978....call Colt for anything after that.......................ck

Dfariswheel

porkskin:

That data base ends with 1979.
We have records up to 1985.
The last numbers shown in 1985 began with "AB" so yours was made after that.

However, if you call Colt during business hours, they'll tell you the production year over the phone.
They won't give you any other info on the gun, just the date made.

Laserlips

murphjup:

Yep, I tend to hang around www.seecamp.com quite a bit. Nice folks there, (as well as here).

They do have an old grouch or two, actually I'm one of them, the other is R.J. :D

I love these old D frame Colts. In fact I have a very nice Cobra that I prefer over all my snubbys.. It just "feels right" in the hand. ;)

See ya at Larry's!

Jesse
000_0004.jpg

Here's my favorite "pawn shop save" S&W 49.
100_7023-02.jpg