Nice Things at the Range

KyJim

Instead of a thread about poor behavior or jerks at the range, I thought I would start one about "nice" things you have seen others do at the range.

For me, one of the nicest was when a complete stranger showed me his new, never fired SW 952 from the Performance Center and OFFERED TO LET ME SHOOT IT FIRST! And he was genuine. As much as I was tempted, I just couldn't do it. I did put a few rounds through it after he put the first mag through it.

So, what kind of really nice gestures have you seen at the range?

kraigwy

99% of the people I meet at ranges are great people, friendly and helpful.

The only problem I've had were guard members when I was running a class or teaching a course. That was easily taken care of.

SIGSHR

I agree, the vast majority of shooters you meet at the range are friendly, helpful, courteous, etc. On the other hand the bad ones illustrate the adage that:
"No man is completely useless-he can always serve as a bad example."

shafter

I've met far more nice guys at the range than jerks. I've had guys offer advice and pointers when I was new, offered to let me shoot their firearms, and generally just nice wellmeaning folks.

bigghoss

I was out shooting once when and old timer pulls up and starts chatting with me while my friends were shooting. then he pulls out a les baer custom and lets us shoot it with his ammo.

Patriot86

The range I go to has a bit of an odd pulley system for targets, my first time there within 60 seconds a random shooter offered to show me how it works.

I will often see people offering un-used targets to others who are still shooting.

Biff Tannen

The range is full of nice, polite, patient people to be sure!
The GYM is full of jerks!
Moral of the story: Teach a muscle-head how to shoot!

KySilverado

Mostly good times at the range. I have had a few unsafes and usually just get up and leave in those situations. Unlike most of the posts I've read here but for the most part ranges in my area are not supervised.

Couldn't count how many times I've had offers to fire weapons I've never shot. Sometimes I've taken them up on the offers.

I've had guys use their equipment and spot targets for me.

On numerous occasions I've had people help me pick up my brass laying around.

geetarman

I was at Rio Salado last fall and there was a guy there with some of the nicest Colt SAA I have ever seen. We ended up talking guns and reloading and he was telling me about growing up with the Hodgdon boys.

He was asking what I was shooting that day and I told him I was shooting a 22-250.

He asked me my load and I told him I was shooting 38 grains of H380.

He told me I had stumbled onto a great load and told me the story how H380 got its name. The next week, I was shooting again and he set a new can of H380 down on my bench. I offered to pay and he just smiled and said "no need."

Nice man and I look forward to seeing him everytime I am there.

Geetarman:D

shafter

Back when I was looking into getting a 1911 a random guy at the range overheard and handed my his Smith and Wesson along with a full mag. I wouldn't hesitate to let someone fire a mag or more often in my case a cylinder from my weapon. As long as they looked and acted respectable and didn't abuse they're own stuff I'd be fine with it.

First timer's ALWAYS shoot for free. After that they gotta bring or pay for their own.

SauerGrapes

I shoot at a private outdoor club. 99% of the members I've run into are ok. Most of the 1%ers are the "old guard", they hate change......:confused:

Redbullitt

Took a young friend shooting the other day that doesnt get to go very often and a guy on the other end let him run a whole mag of 762x39 AND gave him a full milk jug to pop.

We only had a couple 22s that day, so he was pretty happy lol.

DiscoRacing

Usually when I DO go to a public range... someone wants to shoot the Desert Eagle or the S&W500mag....just because they havent shot one before...

.. I always ask if they want to shoot it... when they say that they have never shot one before...

357 Python

I was about 18 when a friend and his father invited me and a couple other police explorers to the local gun club for target practice. Natrually we went. Just before we left a guy came in with a Colt 1911 variant in 45 ACP. He let each of us fire one magzine through it. I fell in love with the Colt 1911 45 ACP and had to have one. Many years later my parents gave me a Colt Series 70 MK IV Gov't Model 45 ACP as a Christmas present. A few years later I joined the local gun club and ran into the same guy from years before. We have been good friends ever since. While it is true that you can find bad types at a range you can also find long time friends there.

Last edited:

4runnerman

Mine was just last year.Guuy came out,had just bought a 50BMG. After he had shot maybe 5 rounds he turned and asked me if i would like to shoot it once. Now first off , I don't shoot other peoples guns,no certain reason ust don't. But i thought to my self ,, Ya know i am probebly never going to get a chance to shoot something like this again,so i did:D. In fact i shot it 3 times. I don't think i will ever forget that day. To some of you this is nothing,but to me im thinking i have just shot a gun that very few people will ever get to shoot. I thanked him very much and just went and sat at my bench and absorbed the feeling for a while.

pelo801

i recently came home with a LCR. i had been on the fence about it or the S&W airweight. i had never fired either, but just from the dry firing, i decided i like the LCR trigger better. last tuesday i was at the range firing it. a lady came in with a new airweight she had just bought at the gun show. i overheard her talking about it, so i started talking to her. told her how i choose the LCR. i went back to shooting, and she started shooting as well. after about 20 rounds, i paused. i felt a some one behing me, so i turned around. there she was with holding the airweight out to me with the cylinder open, so i could see she had loaded it. she asked if i wanted to try it. i thought that was a nice gesture, her new gun, first day shooting it, and her ammo as well. i fired it, it was decent. but i am now reassured of my choice to get the LCR.

geetarman

Disco,

My son has been looking for a 50AE for a while. We usually go to an indoor range on Saturday, and wouldn't you know it, they had a Magnum Research 50AE they had just gotten in. It had been test fired at the factory in December.

So...he bought it and two boxes of ammo. The only thing missing is the hand cart to wheel it around:D

This actually has a pretty good trigger and today, my die sets and caliber conversion kit came. Now I can reload for it.

Geetarman:D