Nice little .223 Remington load I found.

pathdoc

Working from Hornady's reloading manual, #9, and wanting to conserve my stocks of Varget as long as possible, I settled on IMR 3031 as a powder which would at least be compatible with both .223 Rem and .303 British, and I set to working the former up with 55 grain Hornady Vmax bullets, so as to have a direct comparison to factory ammunition. The factory fodder prints a little over an inch at 100 yards from... well, it wasn't the ideal rest, but it did the job.

Today I went back and, with those same Hornady cases primed with CCI BR-4 small rifle primers and topped with the same Hornady V-max bullets loaded to as close to 2.250" as I could get them (Lee neck sizing die and dead length bullet seater in the Classic turret press), I began with 20.5gn of IMR 3031 (minimum or very close thereto) and escalated in four-round groups of 0.5gn increments. Sure, four rounds isn't the be all and end all, but setting that aside, I figured it would at least give me a starting guide as to what would work well and what wouldn't. It also let me finish at 22.5gn, which was 0.3gn short of book maximum, which I don't want to exceed.

I numbered the lots 1 to 5 in ascending charge weight order and marked the cases with the appropriate number of straight lines. All had been dumped onto the scale using my Perfect Powder Measure and then trickled up to exact weight. All rounds were loaded into a Savage Axis II with factory-delivered Weaver 3-9 X 40 scope and shot supported from a bench with front and rear rest.

There were obvious pulled shots and flyers, which I neglected.

Group 1, 20.5 grains; 3 shots in 0.875" centre to centre, flyer way out and neglected.

Group 2, 21.0 grains; 4 shots 0.875" centre to centre.

Group 3, 21.5 grains; a shade over 0.875" (by about 1/32"; my glasses are letting me down here).

So far, so good; everything's under 1MOA. Just two groups to go.

Group 4, 22.0 grains; the fourth shot was a pulled shot that I called as soon as the thing went off. I could see something pretty good developing through the scope, and it was a shame about that last shot, but what I got before that was clearly the tightest group of the day without question. It was a neat little cloverleaf; 0.375" centre-to-centre.

(Group 5, 22.5 grains, blew right out to about 1.75". Let's not worry about that one. Suffice to say that there were no pressure issues in my rifle.)

So to summarise the recipe:
.223 Remington, Hornady cases, once-fired in my rifle and neck sized.
CCI BR-4 primer.
IMR-3031, 22.0 grains (0.8 below maximum, worked up in 0.5gn jumps).
Hornady 55gn V-max bullet, seated to 2.250" COAL.

Maybe the fourth shot on group 4 would have opened things up a bit if I hadn't pulled it; I can't say. But you can't argue with overlapping bullet holes, and I should think that's my go-to load in this rifle right now with this bullet, this primer and this powder.

IMO any further workup needs to be done a couple of tenths of a grain above and below to see whether I'm truly in an accuracy node and can afford a tenth-grain or so slippage here and there, and to repeat with standard (non-BR) small rifle primers and see if the magic continues. But I can't complain about those overlapping holes, and I can't complain about the tendency of this rifle to throw everything under that which I actually shot straight into less than 1MOA.

Anyone who's got this combination of components is welcome to give it a try and see if they get my results. As always, of course, start low and work up unless you're already there and know it's good to go. :cool:

pathdoc

I don't have a chronograph, but I can double check Hornady's claim. It's only 0.8 grains off maximum, so cycling shouldn't be an issue, and it's within COAL spec for magazines.

ETA: Hornady states 3000fps, but this is from a Rem 700 with 26" barrel and different primer (WSR). I'm probably getting 2900 or so in my Axis II. What you get in an AR will depend on barrel length.

Last edited:

Mr_Raw

yeah, I load 23g IMR4064 under a hornady 55g bullet (#2265) with CCI #400 small rifle primes. I have never measured my groups or velocities but I know that they are minute of raccoon, and great for plinking with.

and yes I do shoot them out of a Savage Axis, but I put a Weaver Kaspa on it because it's my go to gun for coyotes.

FrankenMauser

The best .223 load that I have ever tested was IMR3031 with 55 gr SPs.
(22.0 gr @ 2.210" I believe)

Very tame. Very consistent.

....Quite dirty in an AR, though.
Sometimes, the filth can be worth it. Time will tell. :rolleyes:

pathdoc

Weaver Kaspa is the factory scope these days, and the Axis II also comes with an Accu-trigger as standard.

Clark

I went to the range with 55 gr Vmax with some AR15s again and again trying to shoot groups. I loaded that ammo as concentrically as I could. I could not reach the lands with either the Bushmaster Vmatch nor the Colt SP1. The best I ever did at 100 meters 5 shots was 1.05" and 1.10" respectively.

Then in 2013 I built a 223 on an old Sav110 action with a Lothar Walther bull barrel using my reamer with the lands 0.050" closer than SAAMI. The first 5 shot group shot with that rifle at 100 yards was way better. Here is a pic of the first group with carelessly handloaded ammo.

My point is that I labored making better handloads, when the problem was that long SAAMI chamber, not the ammo.

Attachments

• Savage 110 223 35 gr Vmax 13 gr Blue Dot 100 yards  5 9-18-2013.jpg
    Savage 110 223 35 gr Vmax 13 gr Blue Dot 100 yards 5 9-18-2013.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 242

pathdoc

Speaking of distance to lands, I think it's time to see just how far out I can seat a 180 grain Speer RN and still have it feed from my SMLE's magazine AND extract from the chamber with the bullet still in the case. Thanks for reminding me to try that. :)

02bigdogs17

I have also done some loads for my cousins browning lever action 223 with IMR 3031, CCI small rifle primers, and 55gr Hornady V-Max bullets. I am not home to look at my records at this time but I'm pretty sure 22.3gr of powder is what held the best group. It shot less than 1/2" @ 100yds. He loves it. He called me a couple months ago to tell me he just dropped a cyote @307yds with it.

pathdoc

Something good seems to be happening around that charge weight. Your extra 0.3 grains is probably no more than the usual variation between rifles. I might give it a go in mine and see if my tight group stays together still or starts to open up.

RLDRSean

.223 load with IMR 3031 powder.

I was given some IMR 3031 powder (5 lbs.) from a work acquaintance, the powder is from the 1990's. I began a careful load development and using my Speer reloading catalog I discovered the best accuracy was at 23.6 gr. with a 55 gr. Armscor fmj bt bullet. I was putting in sub 1" groups at 100 yds. My Hornady manual has a lower span from start to max. grains than does the Speer manual. I have given away several hundred rounds to my father and he says that they are the most accurate rounds he has shot through his .223. The rounds work well in my bolt action rifle and have performed flawlessly in my AR. The only difference for the load is I crimp for the AR and don't always crimp for the bolt gun.

TATER

3031 should work, Eugene Stoner originally loaded for the AR-15 using 3031.. Though, I have had issues with letting rounds soak in hot chambers using 3031..