Nice grips..but what kind of wood is it

Carbon_15

Saw this gun on the Uberti Website...is that a sweet little wall hanger or what. I just love the figureing of the grain in the grips. Anyone know what kind of wood it is. What are some darkish woods with non-linier, chunky grain like that?

Thanks

Attachments

• 173.jpg
    173.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 280

C.R.Sam

I can't bring up the grip grain but that is some fancy sixgun.

I have some burl rosewood with wild grain. Ironwood and mesquite also. Dark can easy be stain in the finish. Fiddleback walnut.....etc ?

Sam

Tom B

The grips appear to be cocobolo wood and made by a firm in Kali (I can't remember the name) but I found them doing a search for Ruger grips one time.

Master Blaster

As a longtime wood worker familiar with exotic woods:

It would appear to be claro walnut, and the part known as a crotch, or possibly a stump. Crotch is where a branch joins the main trunk, and results in some wild figure.

Stump is where the bottom of the stump meets the roots underground, this creates the eye figure you see.

It could also be a walnut Burl which would also have the lighter whorls and the eyes.

I would say though that it is walnut.

Alex Johnson

I don't think anyone that would do work like that on a Colt repro would use cocobolo, I would have to say it would be burl walnut since the vast majority of original colt revolvers were stocked in this wood including the original revolver that this one is styled after.