Nice article on 1908 Colt Vest Pocket

spacecoast

I was pleased to see and read a very nice article by John Marshall in the latest Dillon catalog (page 40 at http://www.bridleandbit.net/ebooks/bluepress/bluepressjuly11/july11/object_files/main.swf). Yes, I really do read the articles ;)

My 98-year old Colt Vest Pocket .25 Auto is a very nice and surprisingly accurate little pistol. I recently replaced the firing pin spring to cure some light primer strikes and it runs perfectly.

Interesting fact according to Marshall... "Although the anemic .25 ACP cartridge that the Model 1908 uses is no man-stopper, it's been estimated that more people have met their demise as a result of its use than any other popular handgun around".

Pictured below are both of my 1908s (Hammerless .380 and Vest Pocket .25)

DSC01546.jpg

mec

I do like having them around
attachment.php

At one time the .25s were the most popular and widespread defensive pistols. During that time, it was popular to print tales of how ineffective they were. Now that they are less common, it seems that the war stories have shifted to amazement over one shot stops.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• coltrtcoin.jpg
    coltrtcoin.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 25loads.jpg
    25loads.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 139
  • ten yards.jpg
    ten yards.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 137

jfrey

Was indeed a good article.

The ones pictured appear to be second edition. Mine is a first addition, almost 100 yrs. old with the elongated "C" around the pony. Neat little guns and well made.