NIB Colt 1991 magazines look used

itchy1

I Just took delivery of my first ever 1911--in fact my first Colt of any kind. The gun was listed as "Factory New" on GB. Upon opening the box, first thing that I see is that the factory mags had noticeable wear on both of them. They look to have been inserted/removed a number of times. There was also some slight marring on the left, front part of the slide. I did not see any idiot marks around slide stop and the rest of the pistol looked as I would expect a new gun to look. I guess my questions are these: is this just normal with Colt 1911 magazines? Is just the way things are with new Colt guns in general? I did win this on GB so I was not able to view the pistol prior to it being delivered to my FFL. This gun is going to be shot a good bit so I have no plans to send it back based solely on these cosmetic issues. I just want to know if I should leave positive feedback(assuming this is normal for Colt) or warn others that they may not be dealing with the most scrupulous vendor. I took some pics but admittedly am not much a photographer. Any feedback appreciated.

Attachments

• 1991-2.jpg
    1991-2.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 1991-3.jpg
    1991-3.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 1991.jpg
    1991.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 125

DaleA

Well for sure you're getting it a good price (Congratulations!) and you've got what I'd call a good attitude about cosmetic blemishes on what's going to be a shooting firearm.

That said, the mark on the slide isn't something I expect on a new gun.

Forgive me for asking but it isn't something that will rub off is it?

If it's there for good, I mean scratched into the finish, then it's something I'd typically use to get the guy to come down a little on the price if I were buying it at a store.

Is there anything scratched up on the inside that you noticed after field stripping the gun?

bedbugbilly

If it was supposedly "NIB" - I wouldn't expect to see those things. Yes, "handling marks" can occur but they should have been noted to the buyer. If you are going to use it, shoot it and they don't bother you - I'd still contact the seller in regards to this - at least "cal him on it" so he knows he isn't getting away with something.

If I were purchasing that in a LGS and it was represented as NIB, I'd expect some concessions in the price on the part of the LGS since it seems to have "handling marks" - regardless of it it is "un-shot" or not. But in the end - if you are happy with the price and the Colt - there are far greater things to worry about in life.

g.willikers

It's not uncommon for a new gun to be removed from the box and show signs of being handled.
Think of all the ones you've picked up and fondled at a gun shop.
Same with the mags.
They might have been inserted any number of times.
On the other hand, it must be mighty tempting to a gun store employee to want to take out new guns, for "testing" purposes.

itchy1

Thanks Dale and others.
I just got through field stripping it and the inside looks fine. There is one little area where the bluing is thin on the rail of the dust cover. It does look like at least a few rounds were fired judging by the tell-tale sings in the firing pin area. May simply be from test firing at the factory. The mark on the slide will not rub off but it actually looks worse in the pic than in real life. I can live with it. I did get a smokin' deal on it:cool: so I can only nitpick so much. I guess that when I see NIB or Factory New, there is a level of expectation that the gun should be, well, new. Anyways, looking forward to shooting it here in the next week or two if possible. I've read all the warnings about delving into the world of the 1911 and how addictive and expensive it can be. I obviously didn't pay them any heed. I've been wanting one for a while and if this is a good experience, I'm sure that there will be more to come...there always is when it comes to pistols.

runningbear

If they are real Colt 1991 7rd Mags they have 45 ACP stamped on side near the bottom on one side of the Mags,on the bottom their should be the colt trade mark horse and the words Colt 45 Auto stamped on them.
Many time dealers switch out the real Colt Mags as they bring a good price.
As for the 1991 you bought if it shoots good it's a good buy.
I would call Colt and see if the S/N had been already registered to someone else.

runningbear

When a firearm Mfg. sells a firearm to a firearm distributor, they record when and who they are selling it to.

When the firearm distributor sells the firearm to a FFL licensed firearm dealer, they record when and who the FFL licensed firearm dealer is.

When the licensed firearm dealer sell the firearm to the public after obtaining the required background check, they record when and who the original buyer is.

These records are by law to be kept by the selling FFL licensed firearm dealer.

If the FFL licensed firearm dealer breaks the law and does not keep these required by law records,that's his choice and might become his problem.

So there is nothing nothing an honest person has to fear when contacting the firearm Mfg. for any reason they requires giving them the S/N of the firearm in question.

If someone has something to fear,maybe they should not contact the firearm Mfg.:rolleyes:

44 AMP

Staff
Who registers their firearms with the manufacturer?

People who fill out and send in the warranty card.

All the govt. required registration doesn't count. You (or I) cannot get that information, absent a valid legal reason, most likely involving a court order. (Curiosity isn't one)

runningbear said:
When a firearm Mfg. sells a firearm to a firearm distributor, they record when and who they are selling it to.

When the firearm distributor sells the firearm to a FFL licensed firearm dealer, they record when and who the FFL licensed firearm dealer is.

When the licensed firearm dealer sell the firearm to the public after obtaining the required background check, they record when and who the original buyer is.

These records are by law to be kept by the selling FFL licensed firearm dealer.
And the only part of this information that Colt has access to is what distributor they sold it to. They have that because they generated that record. Nothing gets reported back to them.

runningbear

Aguila Blanca: You right on it.:)

There is a major problem with some people in this Country, they don't mind people who have been committed for mental reasons to obtain firearms.

They don't mind people who have committed violent crimes with firearms to obtain firearms.

They don't mind people who have committed violent crimes against others to obtain firearms.

They don't mind people who have done stupid things when handling firearms, and have shot themselves and family members, along with anyone who happens to be in the line of their fire to obtain firearms.

These people are the ones who are causing all the honest law abiding people, who own firearms to be in danger of new laws that would hinder the ownership of their firearms.:mad:

hoghunting

runningbear.......Aguila Blanca: You right on it.

There is a major problem with some people in this Country, they don't mind people who have been committed for mental reasons to obtain firearms.

They don't mind people who have committed violent crimes with firearms to obtain firearms.

They don't mind people who have committed violent crimes against others to obtain firearms.

They don't mind people who have done stupid things when handling firearms, and have shot themselves and family members, along with anyone who happens to be in the line of their fire to obtain firearms.

These people are the ones who are causing all the honest law abiding people, who own firearms to be in danger of new laws that would hinder the ownership of their firearms

You sure went off topic in a hurry, how does this pertain to his 1911??

Ibmikey

The whole issue is kinda' dumb, just take the 1911 out and fire a few rounds through each magazine and it will then be a used and hopefully hard working pistol that naturally develops wear marks. A year from now you will love the shinny spots and remember good times shooting.

Joe_Pike

Looks like one that was a sales counter gun.

Exactly. I thought about buying a RIA 1911 a few years ago that was "NIB" so to speak just because it had never been sold. It looked, however, like it had been drug behind a truck. It sold at a discount, but I passed. I would say this gun has probably been handled by a few folks but never shot.

osbornk

Now that you have bought it, it's used. It's like the car dealer says: "Everybody drives a used car". Here, "Everybody has a used gun".

itchy1

I guess I'm just the type of person that appreciates complete honesty in transactions. If I sell a gun that is a "counter gun", then I would personally feel obligated to disclose that information as it may very well be a factor in SOME peoples buying decisions. Other people obviously could care less--we are all different. My original intent here was to determine if Colt routinely ships their pistols/mags from the factory like this. I know from reading AR related sites that a number of posters complained about getting Colt6920 rifles that looked a little beat up yet were brand new. Like I posted initially, I am going to use this gun so it's not a real big deal. I will however be wary of future transactions with this particular vendor.

Dragline45

It's not uncommon for a new gun to be removed from the box and show signs of being handled. Think of all the ones you've picked up and fondled at a gun shop.

The shop I go to always goes in the back and grabs a brand new one, the ones they keep in the cases for customers to handle sit there for as long as they carry that model and is then sold at a discounted price.