Next Ruger 10/22 Question

Tom B

When replacing the barrel either with .920 or standard do most re-install the barrel band? If not is the one screw thru the stock the only attachment used? Is the barrel band considered an accuracy liability ala Winchester lever action barrel band? Is it left off only when going with a larger diameter barrel because it will no longer fit?

hksigwalther

"Is it left off only when going with a larger diameter barrel because it will no longer fit?"

Yup. Plus the bull barrel is then essentially free floating (with the proper stock), which generally promotes accuracy over a long string of shots and in poor weather. The stock bolt will usually be the only thing holding the receiver/bbl to the stock.

Some builders prefer to bed the barrel and free float the receiver.

Like most mass produced products there will be some samples that leave the factory that outperform the others in the same batch. There are 10/22s out there that will do very well accuracy-wise in stock form, barrel band and all. IMO, I think a bigger gain in accuracy can be had with just trying out all brands and types of ammo and finding out which ones perform the best. Generally, they are the higher end match/target grade ammo.

I am sure you also realize that the .920 barrel won't fit in the standard stock. You will have to open up the barrel channel or buy a different stock. I have often read on shooting boards such as this that it is not advised to freefloat the barrel on a 10/22 that has a heavy barrel. Since the action is aluminum there is a concern that the action might crack from the weight of the barrel. Whether or not this ever actually happened is open to speculation. Any aftermarket stock intended for use with a .920 barrel will not use the barrel band, and of course as you so correctly point out, it won't fit anyway. If you intend to use the standard factory stock, I have seen some that look real good that have had the end of the stock cut off where it is tapered for the barrel band.

MatthewM

I have one 10/22 silver action with free floated "Acculite" carbon fiber 14oz barrel. It's a copy of the JP Enterprises "Barracuda".

My other is a one of a kind custom 10/22 copy made by Volquartsen. It has a stainless receiver, bolt, barrel, etc.

A very nice one, but much cheaper would be a cheaper version of my Barracuda:
-Ruger Silver Action
-VQ action upgrades
-Acculite Barrel
*Buy the "coffee" Fajen stock being sold for $100 from Midway and further remove most of the stock material for a fully skeletonized stock. Email me if you want a picture. This would be an extremely cool looking rifle & save you $150 over my over priced stock.

These are mock-ups. Still haven't taken a pic of the finished rifles.

barracuda.gif

matts-vq.gif

Tom B

I have a Butler Creek airlite 16.5in barrel on order. This barrel comes with the iron sights already mounted which is what I wish to use. The BC barrel is "standard" size so I assume it will fit my Ruger stock and the barrel band could be used. I am trying to decide if I wish to use the barrel band or if the stock screw will keep the barrel stable enough. Thanks for all info.

DAVID NANCARROW

TomB, you may want to relieve the barrel band so that it does not touch the barrel. I had good success in doing this when I free floated the standard barrel on a 10/22 I had years ago.

Ledbetter

Free floating a heavy 10/22 barrel

Normally, the first inch or two of the heavy barrel and the area under the receiver action screw hole is bedded. The remainder of the barrel is free floated by sanding the stock's barrel channel. A pressure pad can be added near the tip of the stock to exert slight upward pressure, which may improve groups. For a heavy barrel, bed the first two inches; for a carbon fiber barrel, one inch is plenty.

The barrel band is the first thing you should modify on your rifle. Take it off and throw it away. Mount a swivel stud directly into the stock, if you desire one.

More info can be had in the "Tips and Tricks" section at

www.rimfirecentral.com

Regards.