Next question...

The Meatman

for alot of us "New Shotgunners" can some of you old hands explain the technical terms? I keep reading Heel, comb, fit, cheek piece, gas feed, and Inertia feed. I used to really be into sport shooting, but I had an old Mossberg Mod500, now I'm searching for a quality gun for around $600, but the jargon is lost on me. Fill a fella in on some of the terms please! Thanks guys.
~Dave~

Scorch

Heel, comb, fit, cheek piece, gas feed, and Inertia feed.
OK. Class is in session.

Assume you have the shotgun shouldered:
The heel of a shotgun is the top rear of the stock, right by your shoulder, the square end of the stock.

The toe of the shotgun is at the bottom of the stock near your shoulder, the pointy end of the stock.

The comb is the top of the stock from the grip area back to the heel.

The cheek piece is is a raised area where your cheek rests when you fire the shotgun. Many shotguns do not have cheek pieces, and you rest your cheek on the comb.

Gas operated means some of the burning gases from firing a shell are bled off to operate the bolt in a semi-automatic shotgun. Basically, the bolt is blasted backwards to open it, then closed under spring pressure.

Inertia operated is a trademarked term meaning the action opens under spring impulse after the gun has fired. No manual or gas action is required. This is a relatively new technology patented by Benelli and sold under various brand names controlled by Benelli.

Before the next class, please send me one example of each type described, freight prepaid. Class dismissed.

ebutler462

Meatman,

Make yourself an investment in a Stoeger 2000 and you will be very happy. It is an inertia action. Buy a Limbsaver for it, though. The inertia actions have a bit more recoil than the other actions and the Limbsaver is a life saver. For less than $500 you can have a gun that will do you well. Read the owner's manual regarding break-in. Very important.

Make yourself an investment in a Stoeger 2000 and you will be very happy. It is an inertia action. Buy a Limbsaver for it, though. The inertia actions have a bit more recoil than the other actions and the Limbsaver is a life saver.

The first time I fired a 2000 I expected it to kick like a mule because that's what I had read in a bunch of different forums.... It's really not that bad. The recoil is slightly more than a few other semi-autos I've shot but not as bad as a pump. I regularly shoot mine with the stock recoil pad and I'm not usually hurting even after 100 slugs or so.

If happen to get a 2000 and go for the defense model don't get the limbsaver that everyone recommends for the regular 2000 - it's too small. Also, the magazine extensions sold on ebay work perfectly once you go through the slight hassle of getting it installed.