Next pistol on the list...

jfrey123

After my recent acquisitions, my list of "To Buy" firearms has required updating. Next up will be a .45 auto. Can anyone offer me some advice on which ones to start looking at? Here's what I've come up with for features I'd want:

-- Conceal Carry applicable: Smaller frame with single stacked mag.

-- External hammer with DA/SA operation: I've got a Glock, and want to try something different.

-- Under $500: Price will be an issue, and I'm planning on 3 months to pay off my last purchase and save for this one.

I just want to have an idea of what might suit my needs. Thanks for your help in advance guys. :D

jfrey123

Alright, I believe me lack of technical knowledge may be a factor.

I guess I don't need the DA feature. I want to be able to rack the slide and lower the hammer. Then when needed, pull the hammer back and be ready to fire. As long as the hammer is ready to go again after that first shot, that's what I'm looking for.

Does that make sense? I still get confused I suppose on dual DA/SA.

billdeserthills

Small yet effective .45

I just got a lightly used Kimber Ultra Ten II. I know you want a thin lo-cap .45 so Kimber also makes an Ultra II model that won't hold 11 rounds. This gun replaced my Para-Ord P-10 (like the Warthog) chambered in .45 too. The Kimber is a real tack driver, at least to 15-20 yards, which seems pretty good for a .45 auto with a 3" barrel! One hang-up with the Kimber is it doesn't like most hollow point ammo. XTP bullets worked good as well as the Federal Personal Defense ammo/Hydra-Shok.Of course ball ammo functions as well. Important on Kimber is to carefully look at the beginning of the ramp-I mean where the ramp is first formed on the frame of the Kimber. Since aluminum frame guns are prone to wear it is important to be sure this part is not already messed up. I have seen some with either excessive gouging or worse where someone had taken a dremel type tool to it as a "repair". I paid $500.00 for mine, I don't think more than a box of shells has been through it. I'm sure you already know to check slide to frame fit on any 1911 type gun you want to purchase-if not, you are following me down what has been a costly trail!

billdeserthills

do yourself a favor...

I can tell you from much hard won personal experience... do yourself a favor and don't spend your money on a Para-Ordanance. The ones I haveowned have all been chambered in .45 acp. I have had a P-14 LDA, P-10, & a new P-14 ss model. None were very accurate out of the box, and I am basing that on the STI Edge I currently own, as well as most of the other guns I currently own. I have found that if you want to own a double-stack .45 acp, better to save your money for a Kimber, STI or any of the other companies currently offering this type of gun. I'm sure someone has a Para that accidently was made well, I'm just explaining my past three trys at obtaining one. Sad is when I compare my old Detonics .45 with a 3 1/2" barrel to my new Para-Ord P-14 with a 5" barrel. The Detonics easily out shoots the Para any time. I paid $500 for the Detonics and $725 for the Para! I have learned that a gun that will shoot 7 well placed rounds is way better than a gun that will miss the target 15 times!!

I guess I don't need the DA feature. I want to be able to rack the slide and lower the hammer. Then when needed, pull the hammer back and be ready to fire. As long as the hammer is ready to go again after that first shot, that's what I'm looking for.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Do you mean that you want to chamber a round, then you will have to manually lower the hammer on a loaded round? The hammer will be resting on a live round?

Then before you fire the gun, you're going to have to cock it?

If that's what you're saying, then the traditional SA semiauto will fill the bill. Only it's not advisable to have the hammer resting on a loaded chamber. If you've got a SA semi, you carry it condition 1 (round chambered, hammer cocked, thumb safety on). You never carry this style pistol in condition 2 (round chambered, hammer resting on round).

From the way you're talking, I'd say a DA/SA pistol would be best for you.

jfrey123

PinnedAndRecessed:

Thanks for the information. I've never owned a auto with a hammer, and what you said about the SA is exactly what I want, I just didn't know it's a bad idea to lower the hammer. I didn't know they have thumb safety's...

This forum rocks!!!
So now I know I would be happy with a SA auto. Options in a single stack under $500?

Bill DeShivs

A 1911 is perfectly safe with the hammer down on a loaded chamber. Getting the hammer down is a little dangerous, but once down the gun is perfectly safe.
Bill

MPanova

you can do the same thing your talking about with the da/sa like the ruger. it has a nice de-cocking feature, after you chamber the first round put the thumb safty on and it will lower the hammer for youthen you can carry with the hammer down and pull the trigger in double action which brings the hammer back and then fires or you can oull the hammer back yourself and it will then be a single action trigger pull

BigO01

jfrey123 no offense but you sound kind new to guns or perhaps semiauto handguns . Try to find a shop where you can handle one of the Taurus PT 945 in 45 ascp PT 940's in 40 S&W or a PT 911 in 9mm as they're all basically the same gun just different calibers and I think you will like them .

As I said you can carry them in condition one with the hammer cocked safety on , condition two where you lower the hammer by pushing down on the safety past it's off position lowers it safely on a live round because there is a block of steel that stops the hammer well short of the firing pin . You then can either carry with or without the safety on in Double action mode and either simply pull the trigger for the first shot or cock the hammer which ever you desire .

The 1911 is designed to be carried in condition one , hammer cocked and safety on , lowering the hammer on a live round is very dangerous because the only thing preventing a discharge while lowering it is your holding onto or blocking the hammer from the firing pin with a finger or thumb because you have pulled the trigger to lower the hammer therefore bypassing all of the safety features the weapon was designed with .

If you go with the 1911 and carry in condition two please be extra carefull when you do this .

abarth

Condition 2 carry on a SA pistol is safe. Since non of the SA pistols I know of have a decocker lever, lowering the hammer on a loaded chamber is not a good idea. What you are looking for is a DA/SA with a decocker. There are a few compact DA/SA autoloader in 45 ACP single stacker around $500. Ruger P345, Taurus Pt-945, Bersa Thunder 45, used Sig 220, used Beretta 8000 compact. There are others too but can't think right now its getting late. If you like 45acp go try a 1911 compact/commander, I bet you will forget all about the DA/SA BS.

CDH

The 1911 is designed to be carried in condition one , hammer cocked and safety on , lowering the hammer on a live round is very dangerous because the only thing preventing a discharge while lowering it is your holding onto or blocking the hammer from the firing pin with a finger or thumb because you have pulled the trigger to lower the hammer therefore bypassing all of the safety features the weapon was designed with .

If you go with the 1911 and carry in condition two please be extra carefull when you do this .

"When" you do this? Allow me to throw in the thought to "NEVER DO THIS".

Other than intentionally pulling the trigger to fire, the ONLY reason to take a 1911 out of Condition One is to unload it, and you do that by dropping the mag and racking the slide to eject the round.

I have had 1911's for decades, and I have never even once lowered the hammer onto a loaded chamber. That's not a good habit to get into. Even once.

Carter